Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Updated 3/22] Amex invokes "the right to modify or revoke offer at any time."

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Amex gold, 2 months in and CSR says no SUB offers for my account

I checked the AMEX prequalify site for the 100k and it pivoted from 60k-100k when I was in the decision stage.  When I was ready, the 100k offer disappeared from the prequal site and I signed up through CreditMatch.  I met the MSR and was awared the 100k.

I just signed up for the PRG at 50k/2k spend through an incognito session.  Let's hope that comes through at 50k.

Message 31 of 66
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I checked the AMEX prequalify site for the 100k and it pivoted from 60k-100k when I was in the decision stage.  When I was ready, the 100k offer disappeared from the prequal site and I signed up through CreditMatch.  I met the MSR and was awared the 100k.

I just signed up for the PRG at 50k/2k spend through an incognito session.  Let's hope that comes through at 50k.

Congrats, same thing happened to me. However I never saw the 100k again. Was it your first AMEX MR card?

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 32 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Everyday back in May, Platinum in November and PRG in December 2018.

Message 33 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: Today Amex told me I am in fact not qualified, citing the "other factors" clause, and saying it is in fact because I was an Amex cardmember already that I am declined the SUB.

@Anonymous wrote:

I can see where the SUB is a tempting reward to app for the card, but it shouldn't ever be the only driving force behind getting it. If you have no use for it beyond a one time benefit, then it probably isn't going to be worth getting at all. And just furthers their stance on churners etc.

I do agree that it's frustrating if you app with a SUB/other perks in mind, and do not receive it in the end. I have a couple that I wouldn't have even applied for had it not ben for the SUB, so it was a nice feature for them to roll out that pop up informing you of inelgibility. 

As the SUB is what determins which card you'll ultimately go with. If Amex yanks the SUB after the fact, you're left with a Card you may not see as valuable compared to another CC you were eyeing. While it's not a HP, it is a new accnt. Which could have been used elsewhere. As that is a bigger hit than a HP.

I 100% agree with everything you say but I am not sure what you are getting at. Think of it this way: it takes me $5 cost to sell you a product you promise to pay $10 for. After delivering to you the product you decided to only pay me $7. I still get a profit of $2, but I am not sure I want to do business with you again. If you started off telling me you would pay me $7, I probably will happily accept and continue doing business with you.

Message 34 of 66
UncleB
Credit Mentor

FWIW, it looks like quite a few people have had this same issue... DoC did a write-up on it as well:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-denies-some-signup-bonuses-against-pop-up-indicator/

I can understand Amex wanting to keep churners at bay, but this is not a good look for them.

Message 35 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened to you OP but I certainly do feel your pain. Same thing happened to me and it’s very frustrating. Good to see I’m not the only one it happened to.

I’m almost tempted to just use the card for the airline credit/dining credit while using my Savor for all other Dining expenses. Considering closing it when the AF is due again.
Message 36 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

FWIW, it looks like quite a few people have had this same issue... DoC did a write-up on it as well:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-denies-some-signup-bonuses-against-pop-up-indicator/

I can understand Amex wanting to keep churners at bay, but this is not a good look for them.

Good info. I would actually be a bit more okay if the reason I am disqualified were “misuse of rewards program”. But the reason I am given, the second one after they found out the first one they gave me (that I had this particular card before) wasn't true, was that this is only for "new Amex customers", citing the "other factors" clause in the language we are now very familiar.

Given that I have had only one other Amex card and it is still active I guess they can't possibly claim that I have misused the program. This is pretty insane and quite arbitrary, and I am definitely upset.

I will give up at some point, but right now a quick update is that I got a hold of "Executive Assist", they say they will give me an update in 3 days.

Message 37 of 66
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Good info. I would actually be a bit more okay if the reason I am disqualified were “misuse of rewards program”. But the reason I am given, the second one after they found out the first one they gave me (that I had this particular card before) wasn't true, was that this is only for "new Amex customers", citing the "other factors" clause in the language we are now very familiar.

Given that I have had only one other Amex card and it is still active I guess they can't possibly claim that I have misused the program. This is pretty insane and quite arbitrary, and I am definitely upset.

I will give up at some point, but right now a quick update is that I got a hold of "Executive Assist", they say they will give me an update in 3 days.

Keep us posted, I am watching this fairly closely given I plan to apply for the Plat at some point in the future once i reach Min spend on the Gold.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 38 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I’m the one who posted DP about this in DoC report about Amex denying bonus against pop up indicator.

Exact same thing is happening with me where I applied for Amex gold first time and no pop up showed

- had no variation as auth or individual before
- did not ever close card with Amex

They denied me bonus 1 month after approval and meeting reps stating moving reasoning
1) Denied because you had PRG before
2) Then it turned into opened and closed accounts
3) Then it was due to history of welcome offers and not using card afterwards (this reason is not mentioned in terms and conditions about obligation to use their cards after welcome offers)

I’m fully on board with card providers right to deny bonus granted clear eligibility on their terms and conditions is listed.

“Other factors” is vague and can be anything ranging from weather of the day to age or race or who want game today or you name it

If they want to keep their secrecy around “other factors” then they should clearly notify applicants at time of application that based on some factors bonus is not going to be awarded.

This is clear case of deceptive advertising for which Amex was fined $85 million back in 2012 as well about welcome offer.

Fortunately I’ve resources to contest this thru all means including litigation. I’ll also post my updates.
Message 39 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So I’m the one who posted DP about this in DoC report about Amex denying bonus against pop up indicator.

Exact same thing is happening with me where I applied for Amex gold first time and no pop up showed

- had no variation as auth or individual before
- did not ever close card with Amex

They denied me bonus 1 month after approval and meeting reps stating moving reasoning
1) Denied because you had PRG before
2) Then it turned into opened and closed accounts
3) Then it was due to history of welcome offers and not using card afterwards (this reason is not mentioned in terms and conditions about obligation to use their cards after welcome offers)

I’m fully on board with card providers right to deny bonus granted clear eligibility on their terms and conditions is listed.

“Other factors” is vague and can be anything ranging from weather of the day to age or race or who want game today or you name it

If they want to keep their secrecy around “other factors” then they should clearly notify applicants at time of application that based on some factors bonus is not going to be awarded.

This is clear case of deceptive advertising for which Amex was fined $85 million back in 2012 as well about welcome offer.

Fortunately I’ve resources to contest this thru all means including litigation. I’ll also post my updates.

These were literally their exact same reasons for me as well. It’s very frustrating as I was banking on those 50k points only to find out I have to get them the hard way now. Will you be keeping the card going forward considering the credits and earning potential effectively do still wipe out the fee?

This makes you not even want to apply for any more AMEX cards given this.

Message 40 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.