Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex is losing best western

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Amex is losing best western

@Anonymous wrote:
yeah i have 17k useless MR points so yep. waste lol. their redemption is horrible

Ill take them terrorSmiley Very Happy they can be transfered to my skymiles for only 15 dollars and of course i would get you a nice gift card for giving them to me Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay going downhill is a little much but they have lost who they used to be for the negative
Message 12 of 73
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
okay going downhill is a little much but they have lost who they used to be for the negative

Now i agree 100% hehehe

Message 13 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol
Message 14 of 73
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 Not to mention that some other programs have stepped up with positive developments helping to close the gap.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 15 of 73
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
yeah i have 17k useless MR points so yep. waste lol. their redemption is horrible

You can't use 150 dollars at Nike.com? I use my MR for gift cards sometimes.. I know -- not a smart use for some people, but I think it's pretty good for me.

Message 16 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

more times than not the MRs don't even value 100 MRs to $1. a standard cash back card does that...
Message 17 of 73
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
more times than not the MRs don't even value 100 MRs to $1. a standard cash back card does that...

When considering the efficacy of Amex cards, it's best to consider them purely from a travel rewards (meaning, transferring to FF and hotels) perspective.  When considering the merits of Amex cards, they should be compared and contrasted with their peer group, such as cards offering rewards in the UR, TY, and specific Airline or Hotel rewards cards.  When it comes to cash rewards, Amex is underwhelming, at best.  The only cash rewards card Amex has with any appeal would be the BCP; and, that's only if you spend a very specific amount in groceries.

However, when it comes to cash, this would be true of all cards.  In other words, for cash rewards, we simply consider the 5% rotating cards, and the 2% (Fid Amex, Citi Double, and Discover Miles 1st year promo).  That's it.  The cash rewards discussion is over period.

For those who spend significant amounts sporadically, Amex Charge cards are still without peer.  For those who stay at Starwood hotels and transfer to associated FFs, the SPG rewards program is still the best, bar none.  Regardless of Amex's recent negative press, these are two instances, that for some, Amex is still far and away the best in class.

Message 18 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

and even when trying to redeem for hotels and flights through the amex portal they still valued under 100 MRs for $1
Message 19 of 73
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
and even when trying to redeem for hotels and flights through the amex portal they still valued under 100 MRs for $1

MR points should always be transferred to an FF partner, then redeem.  Ideally, wait when there's a bonus on the transfer.  You'll never maximzing value by redeeming for statement credits, travel through their portal, or GCs (though, at 1:1, it's respectable).

For instance, transfer MRs to Airline FF of your choice (especially, when there were up to 50% and 100% bonus on transfers in the past), and redeem for flights.  This will always net you at least 1.5 cents per point, if you're opportunistic and prudent.

Message 20 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.