Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex is losing best western

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Amex is losing best western

@Anonymous wrote:
Informative thread. Thanks for all of your participation. Although I knew most of the information, a refresher on transferring points etc. is always nice to read. I'm going to Japan / Korea next year. So I've been racking up UR/MR points. I may target Singapore airlines first class cabins if there is availability, which should yield 4+ cpp.

+1 I am targetting Japan & possibly korea for next year as well. SQ is one of my potential redemptions although it will require flying NYC to LAX and then switching to catch the LAX flight to Tokyo. A direct flight would be nicer, but doesn't seem possible at least with SQ. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 41 of 73
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
yeah i have 17k useless MR points so yep. waste lol. their redemption is horrible

Transfer those to BA. That's two short haul RT flights. Good redemption IMO.

ETA: I should have read whole thread before replying. LOL. Sawwwwweeeee ☺️

Message 42 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed. I love those BA short haul flight redemptions for sure. 9K Avios for ticket that normally cost $450 and would only have gotten me ~2000 miles standard bonus included.
Message 43 of 73
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Agreed. I love those BA short haul flight redemptions for sure. 9K Avios for ticket that normally cost $450 and would only have gotten me ~2000 miles standard bonus included.

Right, Amex's travel rewards programs are, for whatever reason, really misunderstood by those new to CC rewards.  

This confusion is often exacerbated by those who prefer cash rewards expressing their discontent with Amex's offerings.  In this case, they're absolutely right.  For the person who prefers cash and will likely *never* board a plane or stay in a hotel, will likely find Amex's offerings and rewards underwhelming.  The only cash rewards card worth apping for is the BCP, and that is only if you spend at or around $6K per year on Groceries.  For those who spend $6K per year on Groceries, the BCP is the best in class cash rewards for this kind of spending, though still inferior to the EDP's earning potential.

In years past, there have been up to 50% - 100% MR bonus points transfers to BA and Delta.  These are the "best" times to transfer MR point to use for future flights.  On average with prudent redemption, MR points are easily worth 1.5% - 2.0% redemption, and considerably more when redeeming for Int'l cabin flights.  With the EDP, this equates to about a 3% cash equivalent return on general spend, and a whopping 9% on groceries.

Again, I understand that this is meaningless for the person who will never in his/her life board a plane, step inside of an airport, or stay in a hotel.  Clearly, for this person, there are better options, such as 5% rotating cards, Fid Amex, Citi Double Cash, and IT Promos.  

*Edited*  PS - SPG rewards is the best overall program in the industry, in my view.  But, for some reason, SPG points are not as misunderstood as the MR program.

Message 44 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1.....thank you for the crystalization of the Amex profile and description of what they do. I can't say that I particularly love my Amex, but I(as a sporadic traveller) do understand that the card I have is only good if I use it when it fits the situation. Nice thread and coments. 

Message 45 of 73
Open123
Super Contributor

And, in the overall scheme of things, Amex's future prosperity depends far more on the SCOTUS decision regarding their dispute with the DOJ than the losing of Costco, Jeblue, and Best Western.  It's far more important for Amex to protect their higher fee structure and enforce the integrity of their Merchant Agreements than losing any single partner.  

The overwhelming majority of Amex holders are not Costco members, never fly Jeblue, and certainly don't stay at Best Westerns.  Amex may be "going down fast" if they were to lose their case vs. the DOJ, but certainly not from losing any of these "headline" recent partners.  

*Edited*  PS - These 3 partners appear to be "atypical" of the cobranding alliances Amex has historically pursued. 

PS 2 - On the surface, one would think the losing of Costco and these recent partners would help Amex's arguments when their case is heard by SCOTUS.

Message 46 of 73
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Agreed. I love those BA short haul flightredemptions for sure.9KAvios for ticket that normally cost $450 and would only have gotten me~2000 miles standard bonus included.

Right, Amex's travel rewards programs are, for whatever reason, really misunderstood by those new to CC rewards.  

This confusion is often exacerbated by those who prefer cash rewards expressing their discontent with Amex's offerings.  In this case, they're absolutely right.  For the person who prefers cash and will likely *never* board a plane or stay in a hotel, will likely find Amex's offerings and rewards underwhelming.  The only cash rewards card worth apping for is the BCP, and that is only if you spend at or around $6K per year on Groceries.  For those who spend $6K per year on Groceries, the BCP is the best in class cash rewards for this kind of spending, though still inferior to the EDP's earning potential.

In years past, there have been up to 50% - 100% MR bonus points transfers to BA and Delta.  These are the "best" times to transfer MR point to use for future flights.  On average with prudent redemption, MR points are easily worth 1.5% - 2.0% redemption, and considerably more when redeeming for Int'l cabin flights.  With the EDP, this equates to about a 3% cash equivalent return on general spend, and a whopping 9% on groceries.

Again, I understand that this is meaningless for the person who will never in his/her life board a plane, step inside of an airport, or stay in a hotel.  Clearly, for this person, there are better options, such as 5% rotating cards, Fid Amex, Citi Double Cash, and IT Promos.  

*Edited*  PS - SPG rewards is the best overall program in the industry, in my view.  But, for some reason, SPG points are not as misunderstood as the MR program.

I'm currently waiting on the next round to cash in on transferring MR's to those FF programs 

The value from this just can't be beat 

Reminds me of the buy 1 get 1 free promotions ...Lol

In some cases buy 1 get 2 free with a little time, effort and research

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 47 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

The spend is complete on Mrs. T's Platinum for the 100K MR and just waiting for statement to cut. I am not 100% on whether to xfer to BA then or wait for a bonus which will likely only be minimally more points due to the upcoming deval.
Message 48 of 73
Open123
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

I'm currently waiting on the next round to cash in on transferring MR's to those FF programs 

The value from this just can't be beat 

Reminds me of the buy 1 get 1 free promotions ...Lol

In some cases buy 1 get 2 free with a little time, effort and research

In years past, there were also bonuses offered on Hawaiian Air transfers, but not sure if you travel to Hawaii.

Message 49 of 73
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The spend is complete on Mrs. T's Platinum for the 100K MR and just waiting for statement to cut. I am not 100% on whether to xfer to BA then or wait for a bonus which will likely only be minimally more points due to the upcoming deval.

I think we're all waiting to see what the numbers will be after deval occurs Smiley Surprised

Hopefully still a great value 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 50 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.