cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex makes you wait and wait and wait for the rewards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex makes you wait and wait and wait for the rewards.

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex is kind of disappointing when it comes to their rewards redemption. First of all they make you wait nearly 30 plus days to get rewards (BCE cash back) and then they dont have option to transfer cash to a bank account ,only give statement credit. I think Nfcu has spoiled me . I can transfer nfcu rewards ( as soon as the purchase posts)to nfcu checking instantaneously . And even to an outside institution. There is no minimum . Amex is borrring.  I even discovered something new about nfcu that i didnt know before. I shopped through their member mall but used a citi card (by mistake ) purchase from walmart .com. But nfcu credited 2% cash back rewards to my rewards balance ! ( i just used nfcu member mall not nfcu cc) thats really amazing.  And its a whole another story that someone at walmart packaging screwed up and sent me a brand new microwave(which i did not order or pay for) along with whatever i had ordered . Lol.

That's why you should do your homework on a credit card before you apply. If you did your research then you would have known better.

It's only disappointing because you had no idea what you were applying for when you applied for the BCE. Sorry for sounding harsh, but your disappointment is your own fault.

Because if you knew, you wouldn't be disappointed.

You sound very harsh.  I, too, was disappointed by the BCE and dropped the card after a year.  I did my homework before I applied, and I knew about the $25 minimum redemption.  What the websites and the user forums neglect to tell you, unless you know to search for it, is that the rewards don't post to your account until after the second statement after you incur the charge.  In my case, I still had to call Amex, because nothing had posted a week after my second statement.  They said it was a computer glitch....

So sorry you feel that way.

I got my bonus within a few days of my spend when I first got my BCE.

I guess everyone has different experiences.

Message 11 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think most people get the bonueses quickly, at least as fast as most as other cards.    It's the basic rewards on spend that are the slowest to post of any issuer I know.

That said, these complaints are aired frequently here, although you might miss them among the gushing about how wonderful the cards are!   Three basic issues for the cash series, BC/BCE/BCP:

1) Slow posting.    The extra month is unique in my experience.   Makes a lot of sense for Amex, not for us

2) $25 increment (not just threshold).   Do other banks do this still?   Citi Dividend got rid of it a while back

3) Lack of choices, only statement credit or overpriced merchantdise

3) doesn't impact me personally as if you use the card regularly, statement credit is as good as anything else.   But I know from other cards which I don't use regularly, a cashout via ACH is very useful

The equivalent of 2) doesn't apply to MRs when transferring, right?

Message 12 of 34
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I think the best let of Amex (for me)?is their offers. In the past 12 months, I have saved $880 between my 3 cards. We cruise a LOT and the $100 off $500 on Carnival or RCCL comes in very handy, especially across multiple cards
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 13 of 34
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Wow that's annoying.  I didn't realize until you mentioned it that Amex cash rewards can only be redeemed in $25 intervals.

That means there's pretty much always some amount that I am unable to use.  Not cool, Amex.

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our bonus hit with 2 or 3 days.  The regular payout is always one statement behind.  With the grocery bonus we hit $25 atleast every month So we don't worry 

Message 15 of 34
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex is kind of disappointing when it comes to their rewards redemption. First of all they make you wait nearly 30 plus days to get rewards (BCE cash back) and then they dont have option to transfer cash to a bank account ,only give statement credit. I think Nfcu has spoiled me . I can transfer nfcu rewards ( as soon as the purchase posts)to nfcu checking instantaneously . And even to an outside institution. There is no minimum . Amex is borrring.  I even discovered something new about nfcu that i didnt know before. I shopped through their member mall but used a citi card (by mistake ) purchase from walmart .com. But nfcu credited 2% cash back rewards to my rewards balance ! ( i just used nfcu member mall not nfcu cc) thats really amazing.  And its a whole another story that someone at walmart packaging screwed up and sent me a brand new microwave(which i did not order or pay for) along with whatever i had ordered . Lol.

That's why you should do your homework on a credit card before you apply. If you did your research then you would have known better.

It's only disappointing because you had no idea what you were applying for when you applied for the BCE. Sorry for sounding harsh, but your disappointment is your own fault.

You sound very harsh.  I, too, was disappointed by the BCE and dropped the card after a year.  I did my homework before I applied, and I knew about the $25 minimum redemption.  What the websites and the user forums neglect to tell you, unless you know to search for it, is that the rewards don't post to your account until after the second statement after you incur the charge.  In my case, I still had to call Amex, because nothing had posted a week after my second statement.  They said it was a computer glitch....

So sorry you feel that way.

I got my bonus within a few days of my spend when I first got my BCE.

I guess everyone has different experiences.

I wasn't talking about the signup bonus (which is small on this card).  I was talking about the 3% cash back from regular monthly grocery store spending.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 16 of 34
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Two thoughts not specifically about Amex, but about cash back redemptions in general:

1. If you're willing to wait two months to earn 2% instead of getting 1.5% instantly, you're getting a 462% annualized return for waiting. Granted, not much money is involved and waiting can be frustrating.

2/1.5=1.3333

[1.3333^(12/2)]-1=462%

2. If someone has a card for the rewards, and it takes a long time to earn $25...maybe he or she doesn't spend enough for the rewards to justify the extra complexity (though perks, utilization, etc. may justify it).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 17 of 34
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

2. If someone has a card for the rewards, and it takes a long time to earn $25...maybe he or she doesn't spend enough for the rewards to justify the extra complexity (though perks, utilization, etc. may justify it).

You beat me to it. Took me too long to type that out lol.

Message 18 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why shouldn't someone be disappointed because rewards take so long to post.  Everyone else the points post at least by statment date.  It doesn't say on the site that the cash won't post for forever. I  don't really care too much if I get a credit or it posts to my account.  As long as I get the money in a timely fashion I don't care its form. 

I personally have never waited more than 2 days for MR credits to post for my EDP or a Statement credit for my BCP. 

When I upgraded my BCE to the BCP a few months back because they offered me the $150 statement credit after the 1k spend (which I met in 3 weeks). They automatically credited my account the $150 within 3 days of hitting the 1k without even requesting it.

I have no idea why it's taking others so long.

There is plenty of education on these forums to find everything you need to know about most credit cards.

Well I am glad you have gotten your bonus so quickly.  I hit the bonus spend on PRG over a week ago and have paid the bill and they said they see it as pending and will get it on second statement cut.  I haven't hit the spend on my BCE yet but I haven't gotten anything on the card yet and a statement has posted and has been paid.  Slower than any other card and it seems to be very common from reading these boards.  I am also doing the BCE at the same as a 4k spend on another card so I am trying to use it only for groceries, gas, and department stores.  Probably should hit the spend in a week.

But even though you got yours early mine is 250 dollars.  It is ironic that you said for someone to do their homework on a card where if you did your homework you would have gotten another 100 dollars for the same spend!!!!!  

Message 19 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why shouldn't someone be disappointed because rewards take so long to post.  Everyone else the points post at least by statment date.  It doesn't say on the site that the cash won't post for forever. I  don't really care too much if I get a credit or it posts to my account.  As long as I get the money in a timely fashion I don't care its form. 

I personally have never waited more than 2 days for MR credits to post for my EDP or a Statement credit for my BCP. 

When I upgraded my BCE to the BCP a few months back because they offered me the $150 statement credit after the 1k spend (which I met in 3 weeks). They automatically credited my account the $150 within 3 days of hitting the 1k without even requesting it.

I have no idea why it's taking others so long.

There is plenty of education on these forums to find everything you need to know about most credit cards.

Well I am glad you have gotten your bonus so quickly.  I hit the bonus spend on PRG over a week ago and have paid the bill and they said they see it as pending and will get it on second statement cut.  I haven't hit the spend on my BCE yet but I haven't gotten anything on the card yet and a statement has posted and has been paid.  Slower than any other card and it seems to be very common from reading these boards.  I am also doing the BCE at the same as a 4k spend on another card so I am trying to use it only for groceries, gas, and department stores.  Probably should hit the spend in a week.

But even though you got yours early mine is 250 dollars.  It is ironic that you said for someone to do their homework on a card where if you did your homework you would have gotten another 100 dollars for the same spend!!!!!  

Lol!!! Your a funny poster....Lol!!!!

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.