Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex maximum exposure and 3xCLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex maximum exposure and 3xCLI

@myquestionsfico wrote:
That is a fantastic idea - thank you. I will look at possibly reducing the SkyMiles to 11k and look at a 3x CLI to 33. Stays under that 35k number...

You don't have to request 3x either.  Just request something under 35k.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting strategy, but I thought that reallocations had to be 30 days apart? Thus pushing this scenario 60 days away until CLI on the Delta Plat. In addition, are you not required to wait a certain amount of time after said reallocation be before requesting a CLI?

I though that there were a few instances where people were denied due to a recent CL change.

I would have to go back to check when I did the reallocation to the BBP but I certainly didn't encounter any delays with the CLI on the EveryDay card.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!!
Message 13 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@myquestionsfico wrote:

I currently have 4 Amex cards:

1.  Platinum charge (no limit)

2.  Platinum Skymiles - 16.1k limit

3.  Everyday - 1k limit

4.  Optima - 2.3k limit

Total exposure of 19.4k.  I have read that Amex generally will let you have up to 34.5k total exposure across cards before asking for proof of income.  Does this still hold true?  The 3x CLI thread is a number of years old now.  I hit 6 months on Feb 12, so I am hesistant to ask for 3x CLI in fear of getting rejected (or is it better to 3x and they will counter?) or having to provide a bunch financial data, etc.  So trying to understand how much to request.

No I've had more total exposure than that, without ever having been asked for proof of income.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 14 of 21
JamP
Valued Contributor

I have a 50k BCE so I know that's not the maximum exposure.

I just kept on backing out until I didn't get the proof. Usually about 4.5k an increase after 35-38K

I wonder if anyone tries for higher then 50k on one card. I will never use\need that much but it's my first 50k card.

I can ask for an increase anytime I just don't know how safe it is to go above 50k.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@myquestionsfico In late October I was at a $30,000 limit on my EveryDay card and requested a CLI to $45,000.  I immediately got the request for Form 4506-T; hit the Back button and used decrements of $5,000 until I was automatically approved at $35,000.

One strategy that might work is to reallocate limits from your SkyMiles Platinum card to your other two revolving cards until you're somewhere between $10-12K, then request the 3X CLI.  I did the same by reducing my EveryDay limit to $15,000 through reallocation to my Blue Business Plus card then requested a 2X CLI to $30,000.

I basically did the same thing. Went for 40K, was asked for 4506-T, and I provided it. A waste of time. Never heard back.  So I went and asked for 35K,  immediately approved. 

Message 16 of 21
TheConstant
Regular Contributor

I have 35k exposure with Amex, 30k of it on one card. Never have been asked for POI.

My relationship with Amex:
- 2 cards, oldest ~4y, newest 10m
- One balance transfer of 5k and PIF
- Ran one card up to 10k and PIF

Goal Score:800

[ AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $34500 ]
[ Chase Sapphire Reserve - $22400 ]
[ BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards - $31000 ]
[ BofA Cash Rewards - $18000 ]
[ Citi AAdvantage Platinum - $15000 ]
[ Chase Freedom Flex - $12000 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7800 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7000 ]
[ AmEx EveryDay Preferred - $5000 ]
[ Discover IT - $4500 ]
Message 17 of 21
TheConstant
Regular Contributor

And you can absolutely request for 3x and they'll counter if they want to approve any CLI at all.

Amex is very particular about certain criteria on whether you get a CLI or not

Goal Score:800

[ AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $34500 ]
[ Chase Sapphire Reserve - $22400 ]
[ BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards - $31000 ]
[ BofA Cash Rewards - $18000 ]
[ Citi AAdvantage Platinum - $15000 ]
[ Chase Freedom Flex - $12000 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7800 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7000 ]
[ AmEx EveryDay Preferred - $5000 ]
[ Discover IT - $4500 ]
Message 18 of 21
myquestionsfico
Regular Contributor

Awesome - thanks!
Message 19 of 21
myquestionsfico
Regular Contributor

Great advice
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.