Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex may be slashing limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex may be slashing limits

@Anonymous wrote:

The wife has great credit, around 800 with the only debt being an on time mortgage. Credit cards are paid in full. She had 20k with Amex everyday card and they lowered it to 3k. Nothing new in the reports they are in great shape. 

they also slashed my brothers limit from 10k to 2500. He's never paid late either so it appears Amex may be protecting things 

dont want to spread a false rumor since it could just be a coincidence, figured I'd ask if anyone else had it happen the past few days? 

This is interesting.  I posted about Amex removing all my pre-quals for their cards (just yesterday).  Nothing in my credit profile has changed, in fact, my score has actually gone up since my first card.  I use to be pre-approved for all the co-branded cards and now I have the "expand your membership" message on all cards.

Maybe this is related.  Mostly likely they've tightned their purse strings and are going conservative with existing credit and new applications.  

Message 21 of 69
iced
Valued Contributor

As a data point, I just checked the one American Express card I have (Platinum) and it's still approving swipes, so NPSL is golden. To be extra thorough, I checked the "spend over time" limit that I've never used and it's also unchanged.

Message 22 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

As a data point, I just checked the one American Express card I have (Platinum) and it's still approving swipes, so NPSL is golden. To be extra thorough, I checked the "spend over time" limit that I've never used and it's also unchanged.

The good thing about Amex credit cards is if they slash your limit, restoring them can be done, whereas others maybe not so much.

Message 23 of 69
sjt
Senior Contributor

As a DP, my cards are still intact. No changes (yet)

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 24 of 69
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

Given this thread and the other one and the news; I’m guessing it’s a bad time to ask for 3X CLI if you...for example...opened a BBP at $9k SL in early Feb 2020?

Just a hypothetical situation of course.
Message 25 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icednightpaper wrote:
Given this thread and the other one and the news; I’m guessing it’s a bad time to ask for 3X CLI if you...for example...opened a BBP at $9k SL in early Feb 2020?

I wouldn't necessarily think so. I think it's a SP, and if so, no harm if denied.

Message 26 of 69
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@icednightpaper wrote:

They might not give 3x, but no reason not to try.

Message 27 of 69
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

@icednightpaper wrote:

They might not give 3x, but no reason not to try.

It depends on the profile.

Be prepared to share more financial details of your business than were probably necessary for approval. I've not sought a CLI on mine because most of my spend on it is personal (though I have moved some CL from personal cards).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 28 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

The good thing about Amex credit cards is if they slash your limit, restoring them can be done, whereas others maybe not so much.

Here's my situation with Amex - two cards - an Everyday with $10K line - this card pays 120% of points if you use it 20 times a month. I always hit that useage level, but it's not on anything big - balance seldom hits even 5%, expecially since I pay it off every weekend. The second card is a Delta Platinum with a $30K limit. I use this for my twice a year travels and except for the 20-30x a month the Everyday card is used, this one is the first one out of my wallet so I can build points, especially the 2x and 3x points on restaurants, hotels, Delta flights and other things. Once again, usage never hits 5% unless I abought some airfare to Europe of Asia. This one is also paid off every weekend, and gets used about 15-25 times a month.

I hope Amex looks not only at the balances but the number of swipes and the payment history. I worked had to get these CLs, and with all 3 scores at 800 or better I intend to keep them. But.... in 2008 my credit card companies started Balance Chasing which threw my Util out of whack which tanked my scores - none of which I had any control over.

Message 29 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

Here's my situation with Amex - two cards - an Everyday with $10K line - this card pays 120% of points if you use it 20 times a month. I always hit that useage level, but it's not on anything big - balance seldom hits even 5%, expecially since I pay it off every weekend. The second card is a Delta Platinum with a $30K limit. I use this for my twice a year travels and except for the 20-30x a month the Everyday card is used, this one is the first one out of my wallet so I can build points, especially the 2x and 3x points on restaurants, hotels, Delta flights and other things. Once again, usage never hits 5% unless I abought some airfare to Europe of Asia. This one is also paid off every weekend, and gets used about 15-25 times a month.

I hope Amex looks not only at the balances but the number of swipes and the payment history. I worked had to get these CLs, and with all 3 scores at 800 or better I intend to keep them. But.... in 2008 my credit card companies started Balance Chasing which threw my Util out of whack which tanked my scores - none of which I had any control over.

Well you kinda did have control because you were carrying balances. People who don't carry balances don't have that problem. Even if they get slashed they were going to PIF anyway. 

Message 30 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.