Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex may be slashing limits

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex may be slashing limits

I just got a notification that an Amex card was removed from Samsung pay, so I logged into look (haven't used any Amex cards in a while!)  Turns out another Amex card has gone from $35K to $17.5K, the other 2 have kept their limits.

At the same time I got a message that Discover had been removed from SP.   But.... it still seems to be there so I will call them!

Message 31 of 69
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Just call and ask for limit to be reinstated. Everyone that this happened to made the call and AmX reinstated the full credit limit. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 32 of 69
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

Just call and ask for limit to be reinstated. Everyone that this happened to made the call and AmX reinstated the full credit limit. 

Yes, I saw that, but can't be bothered!  $17.5K is just as good as $35K on a card that gets no use!

Message 33 of 69
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

As a data point, I just checked the one American Express card I have (Platinum) and it's still approving swipes, so NPSL is golden. To be extra thorough, I checked the "spend over time" limit that I've never used and it's also unchanged.

The good thing about Amex credit cards is if they slash your limit, restoring them can be done, whereas others maybe not so much.

Here's my situation with Amex - two cards - an Everyday with $10K line - this card pays 120% of points if you use it 20 times a month. I always hit that useage level, but it's not on anything big - balance seldom hits even 5%, expecially since I pay it off every weekend. The second card is a Delta Platinum with a $30K limit. I use this for my twice a year travels and except for the 20-30x a month the Everyday card is used, this one is the first one out of my wallet so I can build points, especially the 2x and 3x points on restaurants, hotels, Delta flights and other things. Once again, usage never hits 5% unless I abought some airfare to Europe of Asia. This one is also paid off every weekend, and gets used about 15-25 times a month.

I hope Amex looks not only at the balances but the number of swipes and the payment history. I worked had to get these CLs, and with all 3 scores at 800 or better I intend to keep them. But.... in 2008 my credit card companies started Balance Chasing which threw my Util out of whack which tanked my scores - none of which I had any control over.

Well you kinda did have control because you were carrying balances. People who don't carry balances don't have that problem. Even if they get slashed they were going to PIF anyway. 

Exactly! This is why I dont really care if either of my AmX cards limits are slashed because I do PIF. I love the limits but I don't need it if things start going topsy-turvy. 

I understand that everyone cant PIF, but it's a good place to be. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 34 of 69
FlaDude
Established Contributor

I have about $57k limit across 4 Amex cards. Two are used only occasionally, two are used monthly for Netflix, Hulu, and EZPass refills so they never even hit 1% utilization. I do put $1-2k per month on Gold. So far no CLD. I did request a CLI last month on the Blue card since they had taken some of the limit from it when I got Hilton and Delta cards. CL was 9k, I asked for 15, but they only gave me 10.8k. Maybe they would have given me more in earlier times. 

Hopefully if they do CLD they'll wait a couple of months, by then I'll have all my CCs paid and won't need to worry about a UTI hit.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 35 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been worried about a limit slash as it is my highest limit outside of Synch (lol) and I NEED every ounce of that limit this month or next. This morning I was SHOCKED to wake up to a 5K auto CLI from 8K to 13K! It was my one year anniversary, so I must have gotten a review and they liked what they saw. Who knows, but I'm grateful. 

Message 36 of 69
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been worried about a limit slash as it is my highest limit outside of Synch (lol) and I NEED every ounce of that limit this month or next. This morning I was SHOCKED to wake up to a 5K auto CLI from 8K to 13K! It was my one year anniversary, so I must have gotten a review and they liked what they saw. Who knows, but I'm grateful. 

Congratulations on your PCLI!

Message 37 of 69
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 38 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

Congratulations on your PCLI!

Thanks! 

And yeah, I know about the 3X CLI option but I never went for it as I didn't need it and I am not a high earner (about 40-42K annual) so I was happy with my 8K. Now that there is this financial unrest I didn't want to "poke the bear" and apply for a CLI on any of my cards. Do you think I should try to double dip with today's auto CLI and apply for one online? I really really don't want to risk a CLD on this card right now as it is my primary and I have a big purchase coming up. I carry about 5K on the 0% APR promotion but I'll pay that off next month. 

Maybe I am overthinking this and should just go for it. The pad for the temporary jump in util would be nice. 

Message 39 of 69
AllZero
Mega Contributor

I don't have any double dip experience. I'm not sure how auto CLI and customer requested CLI are viewed.

Perhaps more experienced members can chime in.
Message 40 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.