Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex may be slashing limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex may be slashing limits

Well you guys got me curious so I checked and I have preapprovals for Green and EveryDay still. 

Message 51 of 69
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@fladowntown wrote:

Shame on you American Express. At time of a national crisis. YOU cut my available credit limit in HALF today. Making me at 99% usage. But tell me if i make a large payment you will reinstate the original credit limit!!! I have never been late on this card since opening it 4yrs ago. . SHAME ON YOU FOR DOING THIS WHEN THERE IS A CRISIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, they probably did it because balance preceeds crisis. 

You can either pay it down and ask for them to restore it, or continue paying it down then ask for increase. 

Timing is very unfortunate, but some lenders are trying to protect their interest same way we're trying to protect ours. 

It's not pleasant under any circumstances.

If I were you, I'd try paying it down, not to appease Amex, but to ensure it doesnt case a cascade of actions from other lenders. 

I'm sorry this happened to you. 

Message 52 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to get amex to restore almost all of mine. The wife was able to get amex to restore all of hers. Citi on the other hand hasnt been so nice 

Message 53 of 69
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@fladowntown wrote:

Shame on you American Express. At time of a national crisis. YOU cut my available credit limit in HALF today. Making me at 99% usage. But tell me if i make a large payment you will reinstate the original credit limit!!! I have never been late on this card since opening it 4yrs ago. . SHAME ON YOU FOR DOING THIS WHEN THERE IS A CRISIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AmX also cut your CL in half last August with a request to make a large payment and there was no national crisis. IMHO, I believe the reason for the drastic slash of your CL is that you have been carrying a balance for too long. AmX likes transactors. So, if you can, I suggest making a large payment to have CL reinstated and try to get in the habit of either PIF or at a minimum make 3-5x minimum payment. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 54 of 69
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@fladowntown wrote:

AmX also cut your CL in half last August with a request to make a large payment and there was no national crisis. IMHO, I believe the reason for the drastic slash of your CL is that you have been carrying a balance for too long. AmX likes transactors. So, if you can, I suggest making a large payment to have CL reinstated and try to get in the habit of either PIF or at a minimum make 3-5x minimum payment. 

GL2U

👍🏻 

Message 55 of 69
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

I got hit today. Everyday was cut by 10k to 10k and Blue from 14.2 to 7.5k. Didn't touch the Magnet. Not complaining because I haven't used the cards for many months and someone else may need it in this time of crisis. I'll see about getting them restored down the road if we're all still alive.

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 56 of 69
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry to hear @Benzman  but nice way to help abit  even remotelySmiley Happy

Message 57 of 69
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

Caddypower, did you call in? What did it take to get restored? Interested for down the road when I try to restore.

For the heck of it, I just tried a CLI online for one of the cards since I never did one before, but immediately was declined. I'm pretty sure it's due to no use for MANY months.

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 58 of 69
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Benzman  just call them.

Others who did, didnt have to tell any particular story or anything.

Message 59 of 69
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@fladowntown wrote:

Well, they probably did it because balance preceeds crisis. 

You can either pay it down and ask for them to restore it, or continue paying it down then ask for increase. 

Timing is very unfortunate, but some lenders are trying to protect their interest same way we're trying to protect ours. 

It's not pleasant under any circumstances.

If I were you, I'd try paying it down, not to appease Amex, but to ensure it doesnt case a cascade of actions from other lenders. 

I'm sorry this happened to you. 

This. Sounds like this isn't ther first time this has happened. You can call in and try to get it reinstated but it appears they'll require payment before doing so.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 60 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.