Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex may be slashing limits

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex may be slashing limits

Just got a letter informing me of the CLD, which I had noticed a few days ago.   My wife also got one on her account (50% as usual!).   Explanation is low usage over last 12 months.   Don't think my wife's has been used for three years or more!

Message 61 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Just got a letter informing me of the CLD, which I had noticed a few days ago.   My wife also got one on her account (50% as usual!).   Explanation is low usage over last 12 months.   Don't think my wife's has been used for three years or more!

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it won't hurt you at all.

I'm not sure if putting spend on each card each month makes a difference, but it might have avoided the low usage over the last 12 months issue for a CLD. 

Who knows, it might be my turn for a CLD tomorrow lol.

Message 62 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I woke up to an email that they lowered my credit limit from $9300 to $4100. I called and plead my case since I've had a perfect history with them (and all others for that matter) and she asked a bunch of questions and came back with two options: make a payment of $2100 by June 5 to have credit line restored or submit documents for a FR. I chose the payment option. She said the overall balance on my last credit report across all cards was the reason for the reduction. My overall usage had gone up to about 30% but was only temporary as I was holding onto as much cash as possible during this whole COVID-19 pandemic. Anyway, I'm glad there will be a resolution but was very upset at the reduction to begin with. I understand it's their money and they have to watch their interests too but it was just a very upsetting thing to wake up to. I haven't even had coffee yet! 

Message 63 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I woke up to an email that they lowered my credit limit from $9300 to $4100. I called and plead my case since I've had a perfect history with them (and all others for that matter) and she asked a bunch of questions and came back with two options: make a payment of $2100 by June 5 to have credit line restored or submit documents for a FR. I chose the payment option. She said the overall balance on my last credit report across all cards was the reason for the reduction. My overall usage had gone up to about 30% but was only temporary as I was holding onto as much cash as possible during this whole COVID-19 pandemic. Anyway, I'm glad there will be a resolution but was very upset at the reduction to begin with. I understand it's their money and they have to watch their interests too but it was just a very upsetting thing to wake up to. I haven't even had coffee yet! 

Thanks for the DP on the reduction. Increased balances as well as non use can do it.

Sorry to hear. At least you can get the CL restored.

Message 64 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you ramped up spending in anticipation of your 3X CLI or just to get your SUB, don't think for a second that they won't adjust you back down after your spending is directed elsewhere. 

Message 65 of 69
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for DP. Glad to see Amex being transparent on their reasons and offering some options.

I think its also important to note that Amex and other banks are also slashing limits for lack of use and that there might not be any options to have those limits restored.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 66 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing I really like about Amex is they seem good with restoring limits and usually at a minimum seem good with keeping accounts open when we plead our case. 

amex told me I can spend as much as I want on their card as long as I prove I can afford it. Amex cards seem to really have that growth potential which is nice. Seems opposite of many capital one cards out there 

only other issuer that has been a powerful spending partner for me has been us bank/elan 

Message 67 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering I haven't touched my $14K ED card in a few months, this has me somewhat worried. Though I can understand their viewpoint and wording to an extent, I would imagine a lot of people would have reduced spending in the last two months simply due to what's going on. 

So kind of odd timing and wording, and contrary to "were here for you". lol

After all you might not have needed it then but might now to get you through the storm. 

Message 68 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Considering I haven't touched my $14K ED card in a few months, this has me somewhat worried. Though I can understand their viewpoint and wording to an extent, I would imagine a lot of people would have reduced spending in the last two months simply due to what's going on. 

So kind of odd timing and wording, and contrary to "were here for you". lol

After all you might not have needed it then but might now to get you through the storm. 

Put some spend on it frequently to minimize risk of AA. 

Message 69 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.