Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex may come out with new cards or some decent changes

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex may come out with new cards or some decent changes

From other hints that popped up last week and based on other changes internationally, most if not all changes will revolve around encouraging spend on the cards.  I suspect some combination of possible new bonus categories, possible increased base earning, additional monthly, semi-annual, or annual credits, and/or targeted spend bonuses.

Message 21 of 75
NRB525
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

You probably missed the one where Chase cards cure common cold and cholera. 

Are you suggesting that "the cure" doesn't really work?

I have a Chase credit card and I don't have cholera. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 75
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

Maybe I am just pessimistic but I don't see Amex making changes that will just cost them $$ such as significantly increasing the earn/cash redemption rates, making credits easier to use, etc. Amex doesn't care about consumers, they care about making money. 

I predict that most of the changes will be beneficial for <15% of people and they add a bunch more hard to use credits.

I don't know if you're pessimistic, because your prediction and my prediction of what they will actually do are pretty much the same, but I will just add that they don't want a bunch of people cancelling the card. And, they don't want it to have a longterm negative reputation or become an example of a white-elephant waste of money. They ultimately want to make money, but part of how they make money is by maintaining customer satisfaction. That said, I will be surprised if they make any huge or bold moves. I do think they will throw us a bone or two, simply for retention.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 23 of 75
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

You probably missed the one where Chase cards cure common cold and cholera. 

Are you suggesting that "the cure" doesn't really work?

I have a Chase credit card and I don't have cholera. 

That could be coincidence but...   in the 1854 Broad St (London) cholera epidemic 600 people died in a few weeks.   And, NOT ONE of them had ANY type of Chase card.   I'm sold!

Message 24 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Some very big things are coming down the pipe."

Says the guy who wants to keep his job another year! 

Add Gold rewards to Platinum. Period. 

Message 25 of 75
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They want people to have both of those cards, and many do, including me. It wouldn't do such customers any good, and it would encourage people to cancel one or the other.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Message 26 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KJinNC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They want people to have both of those cards, and many do, including me. It wouldn't do such customers any good, and it would encourage people to cancel one or the other.

Canceling one is better than canceling both. Travel won't recover for a long time, they're going to have to adapt. 

Message 27 of 75
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

You can't cancel both if you don't have both.

The people this would encourage to cancel a card are the subset who have both.

If I had Platinum but not Gold, and they changed it so Platinum was a copy of Gold (plus existing benefits that I won't use for a long time), I would just downgrade to Gold and pocket the $300 difference.

Well, I personally won't do that, because I just paid my AF in February, I don't want to mess up my CAP statement credits, and I think things will start getting back to normal before it's due again. Just talking about the overall direction this decision would push customers as a group.

And, if we are saying that Gold is a travel card (because MRs mostly translate into travel rewards), and of course Platinum is a travel card, then why wouldn't a lot of people cancel either or both cards anyway? If they're trying to prevent people from cancelling both cards, then does that presume people with only Gold will cancel Gold? The only people I'd see appreciating this decision are people who want a Platinum Card for some specific reason, and don't want both cards for some specific reason, but envy the Gold rewards. That is not very many people IMO.

There is not a decision tree where this is a good idea in either the short term or the long term ... JMO.

For $550/year, the "go big or go home" idea would be more like 8x MRs on category spend and 4x MRs on non-category.

But I think what will actually happen will be like a $10/month Doordash credit and maybe increase one of the reward categories by a MR per dollar.

Message 28 of 75
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

For $550/year, the "go big or go home" idea would be more like 8x MRs on category spend and 4x MRs on non-category.

That's like, what, 10% back on category spend and 5% back on unbonused spend if you have the Platinum Schwab? 8% and 4% for the Morgan Stanley cobrand Platinum? That giant sucking sound you'd hear would be AMEX's cash getting drained into Schwab and Morgan Stanley accounts and every MS'er in the USA trying to figure out how to work this deal. It wouldn't be terrible cashout value even at the .6 cents for vanilla Platinum: a 2.4% cashback card with a category bonus spend cashout of 4.8%.

I'm guessing that's going to be a no...

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 29 of 75
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I don't think it'll be a no, because I don't think Amex will even discuss anything like that. But bear in mind the AF in question. This is not a card that directly compares with, say, Amex Gold, which is 4x in category spend at less than half the AF. They could also leave the Schwab card as-is, since it already doesn't have a retention issue. Again for anybody reading this without full context, there is no way Amex will do something like this. I think what they do will be pretty minor.

Message 30 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.