Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex may come out with new cards or some decent changes

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex may come out with new cards or some decent changes

I think the best way to tell if Amex (or any lender) intends for cards to be used together is if they have holes in their rewards and benefits that are shaped like another one of their cards. That is definitely the case with Gold and Platinum. They both build toward travel rewards, but in totally different ways with very little overlap. A lot of people are surprised when they learn, for example, that Gold gives you no status with hotels and no airport lounge access. It has a distinct role and so does Platinum. The connection with the ED cards is not as clear. The only fit I'll toss out there is that Amex may be imagining people who are deep in the MR ecosystem who want to sometimes use a credit card instead of a charge card. But it might also be designed for people who want MRs but don't want a charge card at all. I think it works either way.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 41 of 75
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

What would be killer is if they could bump up the every day spend on the AMEX Platinum from 1x to 1.5x.

That would make much better as ecosystem card with AMEX Gold or AMEX Green. 

The Everyday Preferred you can get a minimum of 1.5x if you use it everyday. That is inconsistent with the bonuses of the AMEX Gold an AMEX Green with a dining bonus where you may make the most of you monthly purchases.

AMEX needs to be more stackable IMO.

Honestly I'm not sure how stackable they want to be. I think they prefer consumers have only one (maybe two) card(s) in a given system and use it for both bonus and non bonus purchases. Someone holding Green, Gold, and EDP, for example, and only using them where above 1x, is not making Amex much money. They want you to select the card that is "good enough" for the majority of your spending.

We in the CC world like cards that work together in an ecosystem of sorts but I'm not sure the issuers like it that way.

There's always the BBP for that, but Amex is banking on the 1x transactions to make them their money. They want the weight of the Platinum card to be the reason you use it, not the extra 57 cents you made on a transaction. 

[2/2019]
Message 42 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also it's interesting that AmEx would let Platinum cardholders add a Gold AU for free, for example, one's spouse. However, if the Platinum card member wanted a Gold of his or her own, the card member would then be charged the AF. 

Message 43 of 75
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also it's interesting that AmEx would let Platinum cardholders add a Gold AU for free, for example, one's spouse. However, if the Platinum card member wanted a Gold of his or her own, the card member would then be charged the AF. 

The Gold AU cards gets none of the Gold benefits from the card that you can apply for. It's just what Amex calls AU cards on a Platinum account. It gets the Platinum earn rates, not the Gold earn rates.

I think they need to think of a different naming system for the AU cards.

Message 44 of 75
Batsamandrobin
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a difference between the "Gold" offered for AUs on a Platinum account and the actual Gold card. The Platinum AU card doesn't have the earning rates/multipliers of the Gold card with the annual fee, it's just a good version of the Plat. 

Message 45 of 75
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I think the AU card trips some people up. It makes it seem like the (real) Gold Card is a junior version of the Platinum Card, when that is not the case. They share a goal (travel) but have completely different strengths and weaknesses. It's not a case where you can choose to spend more to get more with Platinum or spend less to get less with Gold. You get Gold to accumulate MRs with grocery and restaurant spending; it confers no status with hotels, lounges, car rentals, etc. You get Platinum to get lounge access and status; it has puny MR rewards (other than the SUB). Once you have your SUB, there is rarely a situation where actually using the Platinum Card to pay for something makes sense, except for Uber and maybe some specific types of travel.

As a side note, a fantasy that some people including me have had for a while is that if you have both cards, the Platinum Card can have the benefits of both, so you don't need to carry two around. But not sure how that would work in terms of account management. That's just a convenience, though, not really anything additional as far as rewards or benefits.

The free AU version of the Platinum Card is gold in color, but it's plastic, and the MR rewards are the same as the main Platinum Card it's attached to. The additional benefits, such as lounge access, do not apply. For that, you have to pay for a Platinum AU card. If you pay (I think it's $175/year), the AU receives a metal Platinum Card that has the standard perks, such as lounge access. Interestingly, you can get a metal AU version of a Gold Card for free. It looks just like the "real" Gold Card and has the same MR rewards.

Amex should rethink how they name these products, because it misleads people.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Message 46 of 75
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

A lot of AMEX's charge and cobrand cards are getting something out of the deal.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/cnn-underscored/american-express-new-limited-time-benefits-coronaviru...

Green: $10 monthly wireless credit

Platinum: $20 streaming and $20 wireless monthly credit

Biz Platinum: more Dell credit plus other Platinum credits

Nothing for Gold though (but that's already getting 4x groceries)

Hilton/Delta/Marriott get some love too.

I'm AMEX Green/Hilton no AF, so not getting a ton out of the deal (though thanks to a previous credit + the wireless credit I basically am paying $10 annual fee for my Green, so I don't even mind). I have a prequalified offer for Delta Blue which I can now contemplate; it basically means 14,000 Delta miles for $1000 grocery spend through year's end, at the cost of setting back my Chase 5/24 clock from 7/21 to 1/22.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 47 of 75
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

The Platinum credits are actually really nice. It will be easy for most people to fully capitalize on them, which means, it's $40/month in new credits that are very easy to qualify for. On an annual basis, that would nearly cover the AF, though I guess this will be for a limited time (2020).

The Delta cards get 4x miles at grocery stores. I think they should have done something more than that. Say, statement credit for GrubHub or one of those services. 4x miles at grocery stores would be pretty good most of the time, but right now with people worried about redeeming miles, it's a bit underwhelming IMO.

But the real winner for me is the Hilton Aspire. Wow!

They didn't do anything for Gold, but, they didn't have to. Gold is always great including now.

Caveat, I might have missed some good stuff on cards I do not have.

Message 48 of 75
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

With DW's 2 Bonvoy Brilliant cards and my Aspire and Biz Plat, we now have $850 of credits available to use for restaurants, an extra $200 dell credit for a total of $400, $320 of phone bill credits, and 12x HH points for groceries (that count as vase points) until July.

[2/2019]
Message 49 of 75
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

The Delta cards get 4x miles at grocery stores. I think they should have done something more than that. Say, statement credit for GrubHub or one of those services. 4x miles at grocery stores would be pretty good most of the time, but right now with people worried about redeeming miles, it's a bit underwhelming IMO.

SkyPesos are always underwhelming for me. Smiley Wink One of the least maximizable for outsized gains award systems out there. I don't blame someone in a Delta hub for wanting those cards and using those miles as best as you can, but Delta is working towards a mile = a penny, and that's it, you want a $10,000 businesss class fare on an award, you need a million SkyMiles. So I think SkyPesos are about penny a mile.

This is why I'm so indifferent to 14k Skypesos (via 6 months of a thousand dollars of grocery spend, so easy peasy) on a no-AF Delta Blue card AMEX is dangling for me as prequalified. $140 would be a mediocre offer on pure cash for no annual fee. $140 of airfare's OK but also mediocre. And minus ever needing checked luggage benefit and fairly indifferent to lounges/climbing the status ladder airline cards just generally are weaksauce outside of SUBs.

I agree on the Platinum benefits... what AMEX is counting on is "breakage" when people forget to switch to a different card in 2021. Smiley Wink

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 50 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.