Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex mistaken account credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex mistaken account credit

New here, longtime lurker. Hopefully this is the right place to post this. Ran into a weird situation with amex and figured I'd see if this is a common occurrence. 

I was reviewing my statements for the last few months on my blue cash card and noticed that I had an account credit for a very odd amount, 247.31 in the beginning of my Oct to Nov 2017 statement. 

Right before payment due amex charged me thAt same amount. Both amounts list balance level adjustment. I didn't notice initially because my statement amount was as it should be with the added credit being removed before payment and statement cut. Since I keep good track of my spend and nothing seemed amiss I didn't go over my statement line by line at the time. I only caught this because I was checking for when I got my last cli.

Called customer service, and after being put on hold a few times I got a bit worried. The rep eventually came back and said that my account was credited that amount, which was supposed to go to someone else, so when they realized their error they took it back. I'm probAbly being paranoid but he seemed in a pretty big hurry to get me off the phone after telling me this, saying I think this concludes our call tonight, thanks for your patience and have a good night before hanging up. 

My past experience with their customer service made me feel this whole situation was kind of abnormal. I've definitely never had this happen with another credit card before, and it just seemed strange overall. I guess I'm lucky I'm not one of those people that maxes out my cards, as this situation obviously could've put me overlimit (granted it would be my own fault for not paying better attention), but still.. it kind of makes me worry

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.