cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex needs a major overhaul of MR redemption values to compete w/ Chase UR, Citi TYP and SPG

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex needs a major overhaul of MR redemption values to compete w/ Chase UR, Citi TYP and SPG

Depends on how you use them and the timing of them. Sure, Chase UR might be good most of the time and AmEx stays flip flopping around but like any rewards program, it just depends on the research you do amongst other things. 

Also you just can't say 10k UR > 10k MR points. It's based on spend. If I spend $8000 to get 15k of points from Program A but only have to spend $5000 to get 15k points from Program B, then 15k Pts from Program A does not equal 15k Pts from Program B.

For Example: I got my MR bonuses for PRG, Everyday Preferred, Platinum, Business Platinum, and Business Gold. Combine that with the fact of just natural spend for those bonuses and the fact that me and my wife uses AmEx by default anyway, I had about 400k MR points. Since I got the Business Plat (didn't have a business at the time of getting it) and it currently gets that 50% rebate, I redeemed pretty much a good majority of my points for airfare. I've blown through about 220k MR points last time I checked which with that rebate has been worth $4,400 in travel credit. A little less than $1000 in AFs and I'm $3,400 ahead. Throw in the perks of Platinum and I'm good. 

...but I have 10 AmEx cards, so what do I know? Smiley Very Happy

[What will I use MR points for after the 50% rebate goes away? Who knows! But when the redemption time opens up, I'll push full speed ahead!]

Message 11 of 20
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex needs a major overhaul of MR redemption values to compete w/ Chase UR, Citi TYP and SPG

Amex reminds me of Cadillac from the 90's. 

Cadillac could not compete with the European luxury offerings that attracted a younger crowd.  As a result, Cadillac lost a whole generation of luxury car buyers.

Amex is in a similar funk.  They have for years, offered status and snob appeal, along with now obsolete benefits like concierge and travel services. IMHO, this is why they offered MR points, which compared to UR points, Are substandard.

The millennial generation, and to a lesser degree, generation X, is not as impressed with Amex snobbery as was the Baby Boomer generation. 

Until Amex figures out what Cadillac finally figured out, they will continue to loose market share with the younger generations.

Just my 2cents...

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

No secret that Amex needs a major overhaul in their executive team.
Message 13 of 20
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

When I was college during 99-2003, I hardly ever saw an amex product in my crowd. When they came to gather up clients like Citi, BOA(then MBNA), Discover, and USBank(they had a branch on campus), student avoided them. We thought their table was for the staff. That snobbery back then is hurting them. I always saw my granny with an optima or a green card and figured it for that crowd. They need to find a way to connect with young professionals. Chase has a cult following now with the CSR.

I know melinial frugal cheapskates who will lose their mind over some UR points and justify spending 450 a year for the card.
Message 14 of 20
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Blackswizz750 wrote:
When I was college during 99-2003, I hardly ever saw an amex product in my crowd. When they came to gather up clients like Citi, BOA(then MBNA), Discover, and USBank(they had a branch on campus), student avoided them. We thought their table was for the staff. That snobbery back then is hurting them. I always saw my granny with an optima or a green card and figured it for that crowd. They need to find a way to connect with young professionals. Chase has a cult following now with the CSR.

I know melinial frugal cheapskates who will lose their mind over some UR points and justify spending 450 a year for the card.

Excellent point and first hand experience Blackswizz.

Amex, unfortunately, truly is behind the times. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fortunately they still have a bunch of 'older' wealthy clients that still use their Amex cards heavily. It'll be a while before they really feel the pinch!
Message 16 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

I dont think old wealthy people are going to keep amex afloat. They suffered a massive loss with costco and if they dont bring in new card members they will feel much more than a pinch. I would argue they have already felt a pinch and they sre much closer to feeling a punch in the nose.
;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 20
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:
I dont think old wealthy people are going to keep amex afloat. They suffered a massive loss with costco and if they dont bring in new card members they will feel much more than a pinch. I would argue they have already felt a pinch and they sre much closer to feeling a punch in the nose.

yep, the Jetblue loss was also a slap as well. The prepaid market is not panning out either as they are dangling the 1% cashback at that demographic. Most lendors use prepaid cards as a leash for their teen kids or budget tool(put an amount on a card to go on vacation or stay in their means). Amex reallyh needs to figure out a way to enagae new generations as well as the wealthy who can use any bank that gives them great service.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Huh? Why exactly dont you use your Capital One Spark and Spark Miles for business instead of your Amex?

What does Capital One have to do with this post?

Thanks just confused. "

That was a typo, I meant to say that's why I use the Cap one and not the Amex.......and apparently I suck at these forums also because I forgot to quote the text from the post I replied to

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

These comments are interesting about AmEx not attracting young people. I'm a millennial and have 2 AmEx cards, had a 3rd but closed it. I like them but can see how they are struggling with my demographic...they make redemptions difficult (see the new benefits of the Platinum card), their marketing isn't that great, and none of their cards are flat out easy to understand cash back cards. But I find them to be the most friendly out of all the banks I'm with, and their travel partners are who I use most. However I'm not really interested in any of their other cards.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.