Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex no HP for 3 cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex no HP for 3 cards

This is more for giving information. I have been reading more and more topics with people questioning whether there is a HP for Amex when your already a member. I received my first card BCE in Oct 2017 approved for 4k. I then 3x CLI in Dec. In Jan I was reading a blog here and somebody said if you go to the menu button and click on the card offer there would be no HP. I clicked and was pre approved so I apped and was instantly approved for the Green. 2 weeks later I decided since I do travel the PRG was a better card so I did the same thing and was instantly approved for that. Day before yesterday I was shopping for a business card and decided what the heck, and apped for the PRG Business and did get an under review but was approved before I woke up the next morning. I checked today and no HP for none of these cards other than the initial HP for the BCE. 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex no HP for 3 cards

Nice data points here! 

Does anyone know if this is just for "card offers" as the OP mentions navigating through on the site, or if you app cold for one of their products can you still avoid the HP as well?

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Nice data points here! 

Does anyone know if this is just for "card offers" as the OP mentions navigating through on the site, or if you app cold for one of their products can you still avoid the HP as well?

Not just for "card offers."  I cold apped for a Hilton card 3 months after my BCE, was approved instantly and no HP.  7 days later I received a targeted offer for a Delta card, applied, was approved, and no HP.

Message 3 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats Op, i still think it could be a YMMV because just because those offers are there, they may not be 100% approved, sp or hp. I go to my offers and i never see you are preapproved so i would be taking a risk either way. Though i think more and more are getting sp approvals, i would recommend caution to those who app just know the possibilty exists of hp .
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats.  Amex has been doing this for well over a year.  Lots and lots of new approvals without any HPs.  Wish other creditors would follow suit

Message 5 of 25
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Amex HP'd me when I got my BCE last April.  Since then I've gotten 6 more approvals, most of them cold apps via incognito, all of them SP.

YMMV

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My sister already has an Amex. I sent her a 'Refer a Friend' link that she used while NOT logged in to her account; it was like going through a cold app.  She was approved without any hard pull showing over the past 2+ months

Message 7 of 25
SwarthyOgre
Regular Contributor

This is all great info. Thanks for the heads up OP. I was just mulling over apping for the PRG (50k mr) everyday day card (BT offer) ...but I'm gardening.

Starting scores: 5/15 - EQ: 546 | TU: 580 | EX: 554
Current scores: 4/23 - EQ: 750 | TU: 750 | EX: 750
Message 8 of 25
redpat
Senior Contributor

Here’s the best part, business cards are totally free.  I got 2 bus and 2 per no HPs on all and only 2 report.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousCongrats.  Amex has been doing this for well over a year.  Lots and lots of new approvals without any HPs.  Wish other creditors would follow suit

Out of curiosity, why do you wish others would follow suit?

I have no dog in this fight at all, but I actually think it's a good practice that a creditor hits someone with a HP when they are applying for a new product.  I just think it's an important part of the checks and balances system; anyone should be able to tell when one is seeking [new] credit.  The argument about SP vs HP on CLIs I think is much more balanced, as it's not seeking a new product, rather just an increase on an existing one.  If other creditors followed suit, on a long enough time line the end result would be HPs going away completely. 

Sure it's fun to think about that from our standpoint since this is a credit forum where most of us are looking to increase our scores.  That being said, the elimination of any scoring criteria that could adversely impact score is always going to sound appealing in a way.  I think when you take a step back though and think about it, less HPs really isn't a good thing.

I would like to hear your take on it though, as different perspectives are always great to hear.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.