Did you mean: 

Amex or Discover

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Amex or Discover

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
As you can see, in credit ,YMMVSmiley Wink

If you could join Navy Federal though either your Military experience or a family member, you could see big limits. Penfed is an option anyone csn join but may be conservative at first. If you are under 5/24 and a Chase card csn work for you, Chase is known to give big limits to high income earners on their Saphire products. Boa can also start small but grow big depending on ones income and even more so with assets with them.

If you list what cards you currently have and what lenders, its possible you might get more strategic advice . Also what kind of things you like to buy. There are some big ballers here with alot of credit experience that can offer better suggestions thsn a LIEr like meSmiley Wink

@K-in-Boston
@FinStar
@CreditCuriosity
@Gmood1
@Mahraja
@credit_is_crack

Just to name a few with vast experience with multiple lenders.

All of those mentioned besides me are the true ballers. Lol

I just have a crap ton of CCs from different lenders. 😂

OP you may want to check out https://www.firsttechfed.com/credit-cards/credit-cards/choice-rewards .Or one of their other offerings.

They are known to give out some massive SLs.

Your profile sounds like a good fit. I'm a member but don't have a card with them.

However, I've seen others with similar profiles walk away with $20k plus SLs.

I believe you can request your limit. 

Message 11 of 23
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Thanks AJC.  I'm in Seattle.  No military connection, well not exactly.

I have:

Capital One, 4 cards. (No CLI chance here.  3 of those are my lowest limits and ALWAYS receive CLI denial's due to limited use but all 4 are my oldest cards.)

Wells Fargo, 2 cards

USBank - MTG also (no CLI chance, same denial reason as C1)

HAPO CU - Auto Loan also

This was a good exercise as I realized my signature is wrong.  I have 8 CC not 9.  EX's summary includes my PLOC in the CC category.Smiley Wink

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 12 of 23
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Smiley Very HappySmiley LOL @Gmood1 is being modest. He's got business all over the place lol

Looks like this threads topic broadened so I want to circle back to your original post. You're looking to expand into Disco or Amex, but if I'm reading this correctly you're primarily looking for a high limit card. A few questions..

• Does this new high limit card need to come from Disco/Amex specifically?
  • Have you check the prequal sites for both of them?
  • Are you going after travel or cashback? (you mentioned not traveling out of the US, I personally think Chase has a more user friendly setup for this)
  • Are you really just looking for a high limit card and want perks attached to it, but don't really care what that reward structure is?

Knowing this will help get you some specific feedback on what would be good. Your score is solid, but you may have a "thin profile/strong score" setup which can be limiting, but having those scores certainly opens up some doors. 

Message 13 of 23
Gmood1
Super Contributor

OP if you want the big boy. Go for the https://www.firsttechfed.com/credit-cards/credit-cards/odyssey-rewards . Limit is up to $100K.

Crackman you are killing me. lol I was just about to PM you for a personal loan.

Message 14 of 23
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Yes, more often than not the subject line becomes irrelevant at some point in many posts Smiley Wink
@credit_is_crack wrote:

Smiley Very HappySmiley LOL @Gmood1 is being modest. He's got business all over the place lol

Looks like this threads topic broadened so I want to circle back to your original post. You're looking to expand into Disco or Amex, but if I'm reading this correctly you're primarily looking for a high limit card. A few questions..

• Does this new high limit card need to come from Disco/Amex specifically?  No, but I specifically stated these 2 because of what I've read to be high SL and quick CL growth with them.  Didn't think I'd have a chance with a high SL with a bank card considering where I am with those I have, including WF with several products and USBank with several products including my MTG, all aged well with great history.
  • Have you check the prequal sites for both of them? Not yet.
  • Are you going after travel or cashback? (you mentioned not traveling out of the US, I personally think Chase has a more user friendly setup for this) Cash back, if anything
  • Are you really just looking for a high limit card and want perks attached to it, Yes but don't really care what that reward structure is? Travel rewards would not serve me at this point

Knowing this will help get you some specific feedback on what would be good. Your score is solid, but you may have a "thin profile/strong score" setup which can be limiting, but having those scores certainly opens up some doors. 

Hmm, didn't think the # of accounts I have translated to a thin file.  Clearly not as hefty as many but thought I read it was sufficient to not be considered thin.  Throw age on top of that I thought I was solid.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 15 of 23
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I personally use discover and they were very generous with my SL even though I'm somewhat low income, I have friends that use the AMEX Everyday and they have said that SL is low but you can increase once you build history and they are pretty generous with their increases. I love Discover because of the way their CLIs go is you can request for $15,000 and if they don't approve you they give you a counteroffer ex: $7,500 instead of $15,000.

Amex has been more generious with me. My discover is older and is at $5,000, my amex bce is at $25,000.

Message 16 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Have you researched these credit unions?
BECU
Inspirus Credit Union
Message 17 of 23
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Trudy wrote:

But now I'm nearing being ready  to venture outside of MC and Visa.  

I do not understand the rationale for wanting AMEX/Discover for the reason that it is neither Visa nor Mastercard. Comparing them to MC/Visa means you are concerned about the network? If I can have my AMEX cards use the Visa network, I'd be so happy. Acceptance on either card network is far from ubiquitous.

Message 18 of 23
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Trudy wrote:
Yes, more often than not the subject line becomes irrelevant at some point in many posts Smiley Wink
@credit_is_crack wrote:

• Does this new high limit card need to come from Disco/Amex specifically?  No, but I specifically stated these 2 because of what I've read to be high SL and quick CL growth with them.  Didn't think I'd have a chance with a high SL with a bank card considering where I am with those I have, including WF with several products and USBank with several products including my MTG, all aged well with great history.
  • Have you check the prequal sites for both of them? Not yet.
  • Are you going after travel or cashback? (you mentioned not traveling out of the US, I personally think Chase has a more user friendly setup for this) Cash back, if anything
  • Are you really just looking for a high limit card and want perks attached to it, Yes but don't really care what that reward structure is? Travel rewards would not serve me at this point

Hmm, didn't think the # of accounts I have translated to a thin file.  Clearly not as hefty as many but thought I read it was sufficient to not be considered thin.  Throw age on top of that I thought I was solid.

Knowing this helps. Disco and Amex can grow quickly, but they want you to earn it from them so it's hit or miss with them. Some folks may disagree with me on what I'm about to say, but these are just some of my thoughts aiming towards some type of uncomplicated cash rewards and a propensity to get a higher starting limit. 

Chase:

• Freedom ($0 annual fee) gives you 5% on rotating categories a quarter (usually Groceries and Gas Stations make an appears there so you could get some good return on a few key items if you don't mind tracking the quarters)
  • Depending on the profile this card can yield some instant high limits
  • It's quite versatile so if you decide in a year a two that travel becomes relevant again, you can easily product change between this and the Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve, and the points you earn go further (each point is worth more when used on their travel portal)
  • Try their prequal site and the more cards it says you're prequalified for, the better your chances of a higher limit -- YMMV indicator
  • Freedom Unlimited ($0 annual fee) is no categories but gets you 1.5% flat on everything you buy. This does fall in the "chase suite" so same as the freedom you can change it to the Freedom, CSP or CSR

Bank of America

• Cash Rewards ($0 annual fee) card is tiered (3% on your choice of Dining, Gas, Travel, Home Furnishings, Online Shopping or Drug Stores). Then 2% on groceries and 1% on everything else automatically. You can change your 3% choice every month so this one is quite easy to manipulate
  • BofA is a "relationship" bank so over time it will grow substantially, but they like customers who also have checking, investments or savings with them as well. However same as Disco and Amex, they offer SP CLI's every 90 days

BECU credit union

• They offer a 1.5% card as well ($0 annual fee), but they are known to offer high SL's right out of the gate, but requires you to become a member
  • A little research on here and you'll see anyone can join. They are sensitive to new applicants outside their service area so brace yourself for a little extra vetting from them, but once you're in, you're golden

PNC Cash Rewards

• This is a solid card if you're in their service area ($0 annual fee). It is also tiered but includes 4% on gas, 3% dining, 2% groceries and 1% everywhere else. They are also know to start folks of with decent limits $5k-$10k range, but I know I recently saw someone was approved for $30k so they are not afraid to toss some cash your way

HSBC

• This one is also a 1.5% card, but they have an intro rate of 3% on everything for the first year (or until you hit $10,000 - whichever comes first). They are known to be generous as well and offer SP CLI's

There are tons of banks who will give out great limits, but these above will get you a good return on various categories without having to play the credit card game and are known to be generous. Citi DoubleCash is 2% on everything, but they are definitely known to be quite stingy with starting limits, but some (few) have squeezed in with $5k or more right off the bat, but it's not normal. Regions bank actually has a prequal page that will tell you the exact SL and APR you'd get before you have to go thru with the full application. You can always poke around there and see what kind of return you'd get (and it's also a good gauge of how "banks" view your profile). 

Hope this helps! 

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Trudy wrote:

But now I'm nearing being ready  to venture outside of MC and Visa.  

I do not understand the rationale for wanting AMEX/Discover for the reason that it is neither Visa nor Mastercard. Comparing them to MC/Visa means you are concerned about the network? If I can have my AMEX cards use the Visa network, I'd be so happy. Acceptance on either card network is far from ubiquitous.

As long as one has a Visa or MC for those circumstances, you're fairly well covered with Amex or Discover in the US. I wouldn't advise having either of them as a one-and-only card, but they're fine as a daily driver.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.