Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex partner cards after settlement

tag
ryox03
Regular Contributor

Amex partner cards after settlement

Has anybody had any success apping for a partner card after doing a 60% settlement with Amex? I finished my settlement with them a few months ago and I have been eyeing the Jet Blue card ever since I started repayment as that is my primary carrier. Currently I put all of my spend through my QS1 with the intent on putting those rewards towards travel anyways. Although I like the flexability to use them for other things.

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

652 EQ 661 TU 650 EX 4/19/2016
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex partner cards after settlement

@ryox03 wrote:

Has anybody had any success apping for a partner card after doing a 60% settlement with Amex? I finished my settlement with them a few months ago and I have been eyeing the Jet Blue card ever since I started repayment as that is my primary carrier. Currently I put all of my spend through my QS1 with the intent on putting those rewards towards travel anyways. Although I like the flexability to use them for other things.

You'll likely get lots of different info and opinions on how Amex treats folks after any kind of settlement/CO/BK/etc.

I can offer my personal experience... I included a significant Amex balance in a BK7 back in 2000.  I read everywhere that I would be blacklisted forever, but I finally 'took a chance' back in April and was approved for a Green card and a BCP.  By law they weren't allowed to contact me about a settlement (or Oasis), and I never approached them to see about it.  I will never know if that was even an option, or if it would have made a difference.

As for your chances, anything I can add will be nothing more than a guess (beware of folks offering opinion as fact... look for folks that have been in your exact situation, or close to it).  All I can say for sure it that the infamous 'black list' might exist, but it definitely doesn't apply to everybody, or all the time.

Good luck, and if you decide to app, let us know how it goes!

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@ryox03 wrote:

You'll likely get lots of different info and opinions on how Amex treats folks after any kind of settlement/CO/BK/etc.

I can offer my personal experience... I included a significant Amex balance in a BK7 back in 2000.  I read everywhere that I would be blacklisted forever, but I finally 'took a chance' back in April and was approved for a Green card and a BCP.  By law they weren't allowed to contact me about a settlement (or Oasis), and I never approached them to see about it.  I will never know if that was even an option, or if it would have made a difference.

As for your chances, anything I can add will be nothing more than a guess (beware of folks offering opinion as fact... look for folks that have been in your exact situation, or close to it).  All I can say for sure it that the infamous 'black list' might exist, but it definitely doesn't apply to everybody, or all the time.

not sure how this affects you but jet blue is dropping Amex for barclays

Message 3 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@ryox03 wrote:

not sure how this affects you but jet blue is dropping Amex for barclays

Excellent catch... I didn't even think to mention that!

Message 4 of 13
ryox03
Regular Contributor

I forgot about that as well clearly! I have no negatives. Opened an Apple Visa with them 7 years ago and closed it because the limit wasn't enough to buy an Apple product. That's it really.

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time heals all wounds when they go do a credit pull if you have years of great history with all their competitors it makes sense to an outsider to grant credit again if you are fresher discharge I would run away myself
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Six weeks after paying a CO from 2009 to Amex in a 40% settlement, they gave me an EveryDay w/ a $5k limit. YMMV.

Message 7 of 13
ryox03
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Six weeks after paying a CO from 2009 to Amex in a 40% settlement, they gave me an EveryDay w/ a $5k limit. YMMV.

Very similiar situation. I may give it a try in 6 months. Scores still need to be appropriate.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

GOOD TIMES.

I was cavalier and applied for the EveryDay after the settlement was paid, but before my CRs updated to reflect it.

The only denial reason listed was that my FICO score was too low. I took the failure to mention the charge off as a good sign.

After the CRs reflected the pay off, my score went up 50-60 points and I was approved for the card with a 668 EX.

Message 9 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

GOOD TIMES.

I was cavalier and applied for the EveryDay after the settlement was paid, but before my CRs updated to reflect it.

The only denial reason listed was that my FICO score was too low. I took the failure to mention the charge off as a good sign.

After the CRs reflected the pay off, my score went up 50-60 points and I was approved for the card with a 668 EX.

Amex seems to be really good about removing the negative CB entry once a settlement is made.  Back in the late 90s, they never even reported me as late until I filed the BK7 paperwork.  Further, once the BK7 was complete, it was like the Amex entry was 'stuck' (it wasn't reporting IIBK correctly) so I disputed it... and they completely removed it from each of the three credit bureaus.  Others on the board have reported similar experiences.

I regretted the entire episode, and I am very pleased to be back in their 'good graces'.  I will add, though, that their memory is long... even though I got the BCP this past April, when I tried for a CLI it was declined due to "previous delinquency with American Express"... which was over 15 years ago.  I might be stuck at $1K, but I make it work... LOL

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.