Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex, pay it plan it

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex, pay it plan it

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Nomad3, from time to time we see people who revolve a substantial balance during their 0% period. Then AMEX gets cranky and takes adverse action because they're not paying that balance down fast enough.

Setting up a plan would commit you to a timetable for paying your balance. I can't imagine AMEX taking adverse action if you're keeping up with your plans and paying in full otherwise.

Funny you mention that. That's exactly what happened to me. The only plans they offered were 24 months. I took them. 3 or 4 months in they slap me with a spending limit on my gold card. They told me straight up I wasn't paying my balances fast enough. I told them I was sticking to the plan they provided. Really soured the way I look at them. They're currently sock drawered and receiving the minimum payment which is the plan payment, and will continue to do so until paid off. I suspect it's because of previously charging off 11k with them on a gold card.

Message 11 of 15
gatorlover
Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner  I pay my CapOne Platinum around 7-8x a month, they never hold a payment and my CL is always freed immediately Smiley Happy

Current

Starting (May 2020)

Reaching for 750+
Message 12 of 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@gatorlover wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner  I pay my CapOne Platinum around 7-8x a month, they never hold a payment and my CL is always freed immediately Smiley Happy

You're lucky because they, along with other banks, will hold extra payments as an anti-money laundering feature. Personally, I've never paid them more than 3x a month. They also didn't start giving me credit immediately until the last  months or so, and even that's sporadic. Most of the time I have to wait a day or two.

Message 13 of 15
gatorlover
Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

You're lucky because they, along with other banks, will hold extra payments as an anti-money laundering feature. Personally, I've never paid them more than 3x a month. They also didn't start giving me credit immediately until the last  months or so, and even that's sporadic. Most of the time I have to wait a day or two.

Interesting. At one point recently they locked my card and asked me to call in to verify I owned my bank account, but after that all good and back to normal. I guess I'll count my blessings.

My CapOne WM does not update CL immediately, but I chalked that up to being a co-branded card.

Current

Starting (May 2020)

Reaching for 750+
Message 14 of 15
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

@gatorlover wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Interesting. At one point recently they locked my card and asked me to call in to verify I owned my bank account, but after that all good and back to normal. I guess I'll count my blessings.

My CapOne WM does not update CL immediately, but I chalked that up to being a co-branded card.

Weird. I've never had any issues with Cap1 other than the bucket CLI's. I don't think I've exceeded 3x payments in a cycle tho.

The Amex is like 6x higher so I doubt I will ever need to "free up" my limit lol. If I get my 3x CLI on it even better

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.