Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex pay over time eligibility?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex pay over time eligibility?

I have the Amex PRG since I would say July 2018. Spend probably 3-5k a month. Always pay on time in full before it’s even due. Last time I checked for POT I wasn’t eligible. I think that was a month or two ago. I dont want to check again if it’s going to hurt me. What criteria do they go by? Score actually has gotten better since getting the card. Used to only be able to charge $1500 a month and now it’s at like 8.5-10k. I would think that I would be eligible. I would like to hear about your experience if you weren’t eligible at first but were eventually approved
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex pay over time eligibility?

For me, it took about 14 months after I was approved for the PRG before I received the notice that they were enrolling me in Pay Over Time Select. I was then also able to enroll my other (business) charge cards, except for the Platinum, which finally became eligible a few months after that.

I don‘t know what their exact criteria are, but if you were not eligible at the time the account was opened, then you might have to wait 6-12 months with no late or returned payments and nothing scary happening with the rest of your credit.

Message 2 of 16
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

They automatically added it on my account when I opened it and I never requested it.  I haven't used it though.  You could always call and ask them about it or the criteria.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven’t tried to use it yet, and I have no charges on it in this billing cycle that would qualify, so I’m not positive that I’m active. When I got the card the paperwork said my POT limit was $15,000 so I’d assume I’m enrolled and active but until I see the option on a charge I’m not going to say I’m 100% in. First time charge card holder so I’m assuming nothing.
Message 4 of 16
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I haven’t tried to use it yet, and I have no charges on it in this billing cycle that would qualify, so I’m not positive that I’m active. When I got the card the paperwork said my POT limit was $15,000 so I’d assume I’m enrolled and active but until I see the option on a charge I’m not going to say I’m 100% in. First time charge card holder so I’m assuming nothing.

If you click on the POT link in your account, it will tell you if you are active and your available POT max amount you are eligble for.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, just checked and POT is active and eligible with the max at $15k like the accompanying paperwork said. Good to know.
Message 6 of 16
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you, just checked and POT is active and eligible with the max at $15k like the accompanying paperwork said. Good to know.

I received my PRG 2/2017 after being on the American Express blacklist for years. I received an email 6/2017 advising me that I would be eligible for Pay Over Time Select effective 7/2017 with a limit of $1,000.  It appeared when I logged in on 7/1/17.  I have never used it.  About a year ago I was checking different account services and clicked the 'Pay Charges Over Time' tab, the $1,000 limit had changed to $35,000.  I never received notification and have no idea exactly when the limit was raised.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was given POT when I applied last August, but I wanted to hold off for a point bonus offer.  I called, and the rep very nicely removed it and said what I was doing was fine.  Have qualified for it since...

Message 8 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I got my PRG in Aug 2017.  They sent me a letter a few months later (November maybe?) saying I was automatically enrolled in PoT Select with a $10K limit.

Last month (so a year and a half later) I got a letter offering a 10K MR bonus for enrolling in PoT.  I thought I was already in so I logged into the offer and saw the option to enroll in PoT Direct where they automatically move $100 or higher charges into the PoT balance.  I pay in full every month anyway, so it didn't matter to me.  I enrolled and not only did they give me the bonus, but they upped my limit to $30K.

I'd say wait for them to send you a bonus offer for enrolling in PoT.  That is, unless you feel like you need it now.

Message 9 of 16
Berk
Established Contributor

To me POT is meaningless. It's a charge card. The interest they charge is outrageous. Not a "benefit" I would ever consider using. I only signed up because they offered 10,000 points to do so.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.