Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex pay over time option?

tag
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

Amex pay over time option?

I received my AMEX green card in the mail today. While activating the card it gave me the option of opting for a pay over time feature for purchases over $100. Does anyone know how this affects my account. I am worried that they might set a hard limit based on the use of this feature.

Starting Score:
Current Score: FICO TU 725 FICO EQ 735 EX 754
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex pay over time option?

@Dishpro wrote:
I received my AMEX green card in the mail today. While activating the card it gave me the option of opting for a pay over time feature for purchases over $100. Does anyone know how this affects my account. I am worried that they might set a hard limit based on the use of this feature.

Your charging ability will be frozen instantly.

When you do pay off the Pay over time you will be lucky if you have a hard set limit... I bet it would be CLOSED!

We have talked about this in the past... its almost like a test... who will take it... If you have a charge card and you need or want to carry some balance to amex is you are having money problems!

I mean not sure if you saw everything happening in like 2009-2010... Amex came out with several BT offers for life of balance... then the economy crashed and Amex couldn't close, slash, and take faster then you could cut up your card!!

Message 2 of 29
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

That's what I was afraid of. I really appreciate your input. I almost pulled the trigger, thought it sounded weird. Thanks....

Starting Score:

Message 3 of 29
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Wow, thats kinda mean of amex to do.

"Hey would you like to pay your balance over time"

"Yes!"

"TOO BAD, ACCOUNT CLOSED, MWAHAHAHAHA" 

Message 4 of 29
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

I wanted the card to use instead of my regular cards and my debit. Should I start out slow and work my way up to around $5,000 mo.or should I just gradually build up to 5 or 6k mo.?

Starting Score:

Message 5 of 29
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I have an Amex Platinum and a PRG and signed up for the pay over time feature on both of them.  However, I waited until after the first anniversary on each and also only did it after they offered 5K points on each to sign up.  I have never used it and doubt that I ever would but it was good for 10k MR points.  I would definitely wait for at least 6 months if it were me and you might even be offered a bonus for doing it.

Message 6 of 29
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Seems risky. Might want to stay on safe ground if you can pay in full.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 7 of 29
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I subscribed to this service to get the 5K bonus sign up.  I don't think I will be using this service but I don't see the harm in doing so if you pay responsibily and pay it off with in a couple of months.  My parents have used it in the past for a couple of big vacations and no problem what so ever.  The service wouldn't be offered if it wasn't meant to be used responsibily.  For what it's worth, probably not the best choice for financing anything if other options are available.  The APR is higher then most revolvers.  I think many over think Amex.   They offer their products to be used, not as a ploy to doop people into signing up to be kicked out as a card member. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 8 of 29
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

I agree with improvingmycredit. I have AmEx Green. I signed up for this feature and used it steadily for several months while allowing my sister to run her business off my card temporarily. My account had been open for years with stellar history prior to this, but I had no impact whatsoever by signing up and using this option. However, this was also back in 2002-2004 range, before the crash. I do recall that the interest rate was insane! And paying off the balance was crazy because the interest accrues so fast. I would pay what I thought was the balance, and then I'd get a bill for remaining interest. I'd pay that, and then get another bill. Finally I just paid a huge amount so that a credit posted. My sister got her own card and I never used the option again.

Message 9 of 29
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Dishpro wrote:

This is the kind of apprehensiveness that makes me wonder why so many people worship American Express. You can be sure that you do not have to worry about carrying a balance for a short period of time with any other issuer. I would just use it if you need to and if they set a limit then go to another card. Why do they give people the options to do so many things and then punish them when they are utilised.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.