Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex payment question

tag
heirophant
Established Contributor

Amex payment question

I just got my card about a week ago.  In that time, I had only made one purchase for about $30.  My statement closed and since then, I have charged about $200.  I want to pay the full balance, but it is only allowing me to pay the $30.  What gives?  It says all the trasactions have now cleared and the balance is $230, but I can only make the statement balance payment.  All you Amexer's (cool word), what is their billing and payment process?  Do I have to wait some additional time from the time the trasactions post to pay for them?
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex payment question

heirophant wrote:
I just got my card about a week ago.  In that time, I had only made one purchase for about $30.  My statement closed and since then, I have charged about $200.  I want to pay the full balance, but it is only allowing me to pay the $30.  What gives?  It says all the trasactions have now cleared and the balance is $230, but I can only make the statement balance payment.  All you Amexer's (cool word), what is their billing and payment process?  Do I have to wait some additional time from the time the trasactions post to pay for them?

Your bank account information has to have been in their system for 30 days before you can make "overpayments".  They consider any payment greater than the last statement balance to be an overpayment, even if it's less than or equal to your current balance.  Weird, I know.

Once your bank account has been set up on their website for 30 days, you can make payments for any amount you want every 48 hours.

Message 2 of 4
heirophant
Established Contributor

Cool, I guess I'll just make my statement balance payment.  Thanks again Cheddar.  You are a wealth of knowledge.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

heirophant wrote:
Cool, I guess I'll just make my statement balance payment.  Thanks again Cheddar.  You are a wealth of knowledge.

Nah, everything I know is because I either learned it here or learned it myself the hard way. Smiley Tongue

You're welcome though.  Happy to help.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.