Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex pending charges included in balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex pending charges included in balance

I currently have fourteen charges on my Amex.  Seven are posted and seven are marked pending, three of which occurred yesterday.  However, all fourteen charges are included in my outstanding balance.  Does this mean they've suspended my charging privileges or do they tell you that in the app?  

Just thought it was weird that all were in my balance. 

these are all sub 100 charges so nothing large

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex pending charges included in balance

No, they haven't suspended your account.

Where are you looking at the information?  If you access your online account through a web browser you can see the "Statements & Activity" tab which breaks down your spending to show "Pending Charges," "Posted Charges," and "Total Balance."

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the app.

It shows my balance at the top, which includes all fourteen charges.  Below it, are seven charges marked pending and seven below that say "pay it."

if I go to make a payment, it lets me pay the total balance, which includes the total of all fourteen charges (pending and posted).

thank you for responding by the way 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I just looked at the app and I can see how it can cause confusion by including the pending charges in the total balance. The items marked "Pay it" are the ones that are no longer pending  You probably need to log in  to your account via a browser to see the full breakdown of posted charges on your account.  The online account doesn't include the Pending Charges in the Total Balance.

Amex allows you to prepay pending charges so nothing unusual there.  And if you have a long enough history with them, they will credit the payment to your account immediately.

For example my Gold card billing cycle ends today so I paid enough to cover both Posted and Pending charges and will have a .10¢ credit when the new statement generates tonight.

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 12.59.58 PM.png

Message 4 of 5
jcooks
Established Contributor

The outstanding balance should be all charges up until your last statement closing date.  Pending are charges that haven't been processed yet for the next statement, and posted charges are what have already been posted for the next statement.  I think it is just coincidence that they are equal maybe?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.