Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex platinum not so impressive anymore

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Amex platinum not so impressive anymore

@CreditScholar wrote:

If you travel internationally you don't always have the luxury of having 1 hour layovers, nor should you be foolish enough to take it even if the option presents itself to you. One missed connection and you're essentially stuck in a foreign country, usually for at least a day.

During layovers that are several hours long, lounge access is a huge plus. I love being able to escape the plebs and chaos of the terminal, so for me lounge access is essential. In many ways I find it similar to broadband vs dialup. Once you've switched, you'll find it near impossible to switch back (or do without).

SPG gold gives you free internet, which can run $15-20 per night at many Starwood hotels. If you travel for even a week or two per year, it may save you a couple hundred dollars. Also Amex FHR will give additional benefits such as hotel credits, free breakfast, etc.

The Amex platinum is a great value if you fit its target clientele and can use its benefits. If you don't, then you're better off looking elsewhere.

+1

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 27
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@VinnyofLegend wrote:

I still can't see myself wanting one...

If I did travel all the time, the $200 credit wouldn't really cover the baggage fees for more than 4 trips (fewer if traveling with another person)...and lounge access? Maybe if you planned in your trip poorly such that you had to wait a decent period between flights and were in airports with participating lounges in your terminal (otherwise you'd have to plan time between your lounge and your departing terminal)...

I think the Delta Amex is a better value (assuming you're flying Delta or Delta partners most of the time), it pays for itself very quickly in baggage fees (even more so if someone is going with you). And heck you don't even have to buy your ticket with that particular card.

The only Amex card that "impresses" me is an Amex Corporate card Smiley Tongue since it means someone else is footing the bill.

If you travel internationally you don't always have the luxury of having 1 hour layovers, nor should you be foolish enough to take it even if the option presents itself to you. One missed connection and you're essentially stuck in a foreign country, usually for at least a day.

During layovers that are several hours long, lounge access is a huge plus. I love being able to escape the plebs and chaos of the terminal, so for me lounge access is essential. In many ways I find it similar to broadband vs dialup. Once you've switched, you'll find it near impossible to switch back (or do without).

SPG gold gives you free internet, which can run $15-20 per night at many Starwood hotels. If you travel for even a week or two per year, it may save you a couple hundred dollars. Also Amex FHR will give additional benefits such as hotel credits, free breakfast, etc.

The Amex platinum is a great value if you fit its target clientele and can use its benefits. If you don't, then you're better off looking elsewhere.

+100

Message 12 of 27
Alcibiades
Contributor

I have been using my Platinum over the past few months and have largely sock drawered my Zync. The number of comments and compliments about my Amex card has basically dropped to zero after years of "oohs and ahhs" while I was using my Zync. Amex Platinum cards are pretty common. I have enjoyed lounge access, airline fee credits, and SPG gold access and have used the travel phone services this year. I like the card and will renew. But it is just another high end card like all the others.

Message 13 of 27
mxp114
Valued Contributor

I agree with OP, the card is very widely issued to almost anyone and anyone with a green/gold can convert. It's certainly not the status symbol it used to be but remains a great card for travelers.

@CreditScholar wrote:

Lounge access is convenient but I rarely bother. Most are way too far from my gate anyway and I find them pretty boring at times when I travel alone. I know it might sound strange but sometimes I'd rather just go eat in the terminal to pass the time and then proceed to my gate. And when my layover or delay is long enough, I'm almost always just visit the local city. It's a great way to explore a city you may otherwise never visit. I did that when I had a 5 hour layover in Taipei, had a great time too. Of course you need to be sensitive with timing, clearing customs/passport control, getting to the city and not getting lost then back to the airport lol So far so good, never missed a flight.

Message 14 of 27
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@icloud2525 wrote:
I'm a gm at a hotel in ny and occasionally have to help front desk with check ins when short staffed. It's funny after using this forum, when I do help all I do is check out what cc they're using. Used to be I saw a Amex platinum and it impressed me, now I think, they spend $450 annual fee on this. Today I helped out and saw world mc's, visa sigs, cap1 venture and a platinum, and was least impressed with plat. Funny how your views change when you really learn about this stuff. But not gonna lie, for some crazy reason I still kind of want one.

Even the Palladium or Centurion is not impressive, as most people do not even know what they are. I was in Neiman Marcus a few days ago, and a lady pulled out the Palladium and the cashier did not look at it twice.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 15 of 27
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

I agree with OP, the card is very widely issued to almost anyone and anyone with a green/gold can convert. It's certainly not the status symbol it used to be but remains a great card for travelers.

@CreditScholar wrote:

Lounge access is convenient but I rarely bother. Most are way too far from my gate anyway and I find them pretty boring at times when I travel alone. I know it might sound strange but sometimes I'd rather just go eat in the terminal to pass the time and then proceed to my gate. And when my layover or delay is long enough, I'm almost always just visit the local city. It's a great way to explore a city you may otherwise never visit. I did that when I had a 5 hour layover in Taipei, had a great time too. Of course you need to be sensitive with timing, clearing customs/passport control, getting to the city and not getting lost then back to the airport lol So far so good, never missed a flight.

I think it's different for you since you're travelling alone, whereas we always travel together. She always likes being able to rest in the lounges, get something to eat/drink, etc. She especially likes the massage chairs in the Asiana lounge in ICN.

I haven't found it too far to walk in most cases, except for BKK. Other airports we frequently pass through seem much better. NRT for example has their UA lounge within 100-200m of most of their gates, which isn't bad at all.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 16 of 27
firesoul453
Contributor

Is the reward system (points system) the same for all the amex charge cards? I know when I had my amex green the pointes were horrible. It was like getting 0.4% cash back when I added it up, defintily didn't make up for the fee. 

Too many card companies use the word platinum in their name. Visa platinum's are the base models right?

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 17 of 27
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@firesoul453 wrote:

Is the reward system (points system) the same for all the amex charge cards? I know when I had my amex green the pointes were horrible. It was like getting 0.4% cash back when I added it up, defintily didn't make up for the fee. 

Too many card companies use the word platinum in their name. Visa platinum's are the base models right?

For most purposes, it is the same.  There is an MR First program for Platinum and Centurion cardholders, but I believe the only difference is that you get access to some additional high end retailers to redeem for gift cards.  There also is (was?) an MR Express program.  Not sure if that exists anymore with the discontinuation of Zync, but it didn't allow tranfers of points to partners, such as frequent flier programs.

If you like redeeming for cash back, these are not the best rewards cards for you.  The best value for Amex MR points is to transfer to frequent flier programs for premium international travel.  Premium domestic tickets aren't too bad either for transcontinental flights.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 27
CS800
Super Contributor

The card has its Merits if you cam take advantage of the extra perks.

I'm contemplating switching to the PR Gold or just regular gold. I'm not using the card enough for travels nowadays.

Message 19 of 27
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

The Platinum is not designed for the sheer points seeker. Its benefits elsewhere in terms of perks for travel. If you use the card for what it can really offer, it more than pays for the AF. 

More than pays for the annual fee?  I don't think that math adds up.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.