cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex pre Approval says starting credit limit up too $1000 ??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex pre Approval says starting credit limit up too $1000 ??

was sent a Amex pre approval for their everyday card ,in the offer it said starting limit up 1k ? i thought this was not only kinda low but odd they would tell you a starting limit... i currently do not have any amex products,, is this normal for Amex or is this just a generic pre app offer ?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex pre Approval says starting credit limit up too $1000 ??

@Anonymous wrote:

was sent a Amex pre approval for their everyday card ,in the offer it said starting limit up 1k ? i thought this was not only kinda low but odd they would tell you a starting limit... i currently do not have any amex products,, is this normal for Amex or is this just a generic pre app offer ?

That's a reflection on how much they view you as a risk in terms of borrowing 

So, not generic, but an overall picture of how your profile appears to them at this time. 

Message 2 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Have you ever burned them in the past?

I get the same message but for $5k (which is low for me) but I burned them a long time ago.

Ironically, I also prequal for Platinum - I guess they want that $550 AF!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 8
delaney1
Established Contributor

Not generic. I got an up to 12k at the beginning of last month. A few weeks later when I let a bigger balance post on one of my cards  the prequal said up to 6k.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

sure am happy other lenders dont see my profile like Amex,, i guess i could take it and grow it out but there are better offers out there for a hard pull at the moment. how are they at CLI ? is it worth the hard pull ?

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a reflection on how much they view you as a risk in terms of borrowing 

So, not generic, but an overall picture of how your profile appears to them at this time. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Have you ever burned them in the past?

I get the same message but for $5k (which is low for me) but I burned them a long time ago.

Ironically, I also prequal for Platinum - I guess they want that $550 AF!

No never had Amex in my wallet.

Message 6 of 8
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Dont worry too much. May seem small but if you take care of them they will open the doors wide open in 3 to 6 months time. I got my first card in November with a $500 SL which was a crushing disappointment. Fast forward to now I have 6 amex cards with one being a charge card and the rest revolvers with close to 40k in limits so far. Just give it time.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes you can get a 3X CLI right away. They approved me for the Cash Magnet earlier this month at $1K and I went on the website and asked for $3K and it was approved before I even got the card. Took them a bit to actually raise the limit but it came through. 

Otherwise the normal process is to try at 61 days although they’re not always granted on $1K cards. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.