Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex pre approval as a Amex card holder

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A pre approved offer After being approved last week with Amex

No HP, Cancelled apps are usually due to timing being too close together and being approved for 1 charge kind of excludes you from another within the first year due to the CARD ACT and not being able to charge a higher AF than the current card.

Sometimes though the app will be cancelled for ID verification in which he can call in and talk to them and see if it's that reason or wait for the letter in the mail.

Message 21 of 36
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Obscure-Expert Really if it’s not for Id reason
It’s because he just got a charge card and he won’t be able get one before a year from now ?
Message 22 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Green/Gole/Platinum are CHARGE cards.... if you get one it has an AF and locks you out of upgrading / new ones until the first year is up.

He can go after any other card though in the meantime or cancel the Green to get the Gold instead.  I don't recall what kind of waiting period it is if it's a few days or a month or longer.  The whole reason I tell people to go for the card they WANT and not he one they're OFFERED is because of this sort of thing that happens all the time.

Message 23 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I knew you couldn’t upgrade a card to one with a higher AF in the first year due to the CARD act but I never heard you couldn’t apply separately for another one. It’s a separate product so being barred from apping for it doesn’t make sense. I didn’t act on them, but after getting Gold/Surpass/Delta Gold, I’ve seen cards above them (like Plat/Aspire/Reserve) preapproved in my account...
Message 24 of 36
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I knew you couldn’t upgrade a card to one with a higher AF in the first year due to the CARD act but I never heard you couldn’t apply separately for another one. It’s a separate product so being barred from apping for it doesn’t make sense. I didn’t act on them, but after getting Gold/Surpass/Delta Gold, I’ve seen cards above them (like Plat/Aspire/Reserve) preapproved in my account...

This.  You certainly cant upgrade from green to gold within first year, but you certainly can get Green/gold/plat all within a year as long as scores support it.  Also expanding your membership doesn't result in an automatic HP, it could, but certainly not a 100% thing by any means.  Usually you will see that message if your profile is questionable or you are up against their 5 revolver limit for normal people which others can pass that 5 card rule due to income, spend with amex, relationship with amex, etc.....I get that message as have 5 revolvers and have applied and no HP.. Talk to amex and they say I have 5 revolvers would i like to cancel one so they can approve me for new said card..

Message 25 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering there's no limit to the amount of Charge Cards you can app, like there is for revolvers. I didn't think it mattered when you apped them. 

I don't see any reason why you would be declined/canceled for the Gold even if you already have Green and/or Plat. Plenty of people here have all three. I've even read reports that two were apped the same day.

Message 26 of 36
Jccflat
Established Contributor

The funny thing still now it’s shows you are pre approved wen he opens up the list of cards like to apple wen in he’s logged in
Message 27 of 36
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Cancellation was probably due to applying for too many amex cards within so many days. I forget how many days you have to wait but if you don't wait, you will get automatic cancellations.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 28 of 36
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Sounds that was the reason yes
How long do u need to wait ? Anyone know
Message 29 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jccflat wrote:
Sounds that was the reason yes
How long do u need to wait ? Anyone know

There's no specific waiting period.  The only rule is 2/90 but, if he's getting a denial then give it a bit as the system might flag them as duplicate apps w/in a 30 day period and cancel them.

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.