Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex product change question

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Amex product change question

As a general rule, can you basically convert any Amex-issued Amex to any Amex-issued Amex whether credit or charge card?

I realize any CSR will tell you you can convert between the levels of charge cards from Green to Plat but beyond that, among different revolvers, it seems to be about who you talk to. But I haven't seen anything specific about charge to revolver.

My idea is to apply for the PRG because of the 25k points offer and then convert to some no-fee revolver before the $175 AF hits.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Re: Amex product change question

I've seen a few threads on here addressing this issue, and the general consensus is you cannot PC a charge card to a revolver. The rule is revolver to revolver or charge card to charge card. Nonetheless, I would suggest calling Amex for a definitive answer.
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Acconts must be 13 months old.

you can convert usually within classes and yes charge for charge and revolver for revolver - no moving those charge to revolver, etc.

Delta to the hotel cards or to blue

hotel cards to airline cards or blue

lowes, costco, mercedes no converting, apply only

blue to other blue's only I believe most of the time.

They have to go into a screen about converting and then within that area it will give them options, some know how to "see" all the options, and some know how to ask the system based on what you want and then gets answer back....

Message 3 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Thanks for the responses.

Yes. 13 months old. How astute of Amex...make sure they get the AF after a nice sign up bonus.

OK. So there's no getting a PRG, waiting a while and then PCing to a no fee revolver for the sock drawer. Oh well....

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 4 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

Well the best case scenario for your case is to the green which has lowest AF, or to close the account
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

They will pro rate AF's
Message 6 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Yeah. The Green would be the easiest on the wallet but at that point I would just close it. The Green has no bonus to incentivize usage. I'd be paying an AF for nothing. I don't mind paying an AF (several of my cards have them) but it needs to be a high usage card that more than covers the  AF vs. alternatives. 

I have a concurrent thread topic going on gas rewards with Amex, in which I ask users how it works in terms stipulations on paying inside or at the pump and if just gas or anything at gas stations. If Amex treats these purchases like the Chase cards or Discover (anything at the gas station counts and you can pay inside or at the pump), the 3% with the BCP would make it viable along with dept stores and 6% at supermarkets as a card I can pay the AF for and profit from it. 

Message 7 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Prorate AF's? You mean after the first year free right?

So that means I keep the card past 13 months, incur the AF, close it and get a refund for unused portion of the AF?

Message 8 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

Prorate AF's? You mean after the first year free right?

So that means I keep the card past 13 months, incur the AF, close it and get a refund for unused portion of the AF?

Yes, and in the past it's been my experience that I have had say Delta Platinum and I product changed to something with no AF stating that the reward structure just woulnd't add up for me and they waived the entire AF that I had paid and it had been like 3 months.... I didn't even ask for it and obviously it's not 100% it will happen but I'm pretty sure prorate AF is a policy.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.