Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex pulling TransUnion? [UPDATE]

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex pulling TransUnion? [UPDATE]

I live in Texas. I don't think that Amex is a geographic puller... But idk... Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 21 of 28
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

While too early to tell, one imagines that the reason Amex pulled almost exclusively EX is that they got some sort of generous discount for that relationship.  Perhaps it's coming to an end and they are shopping around. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex pulling TransUnion?

@djrez4 wrote:

@nickn86 wrote:

So just pulled my Experian, no inquiry from Amex.  Meaning they only pulled TransUnion (I checked Equifax earlier)

Strange...

Did you apply directly through the Amex website?  Through another website?

I'd like to know this too, there was an anecdotal report recently that an application via Credit Karma landed on TU.  Memory fading though I don't remember who / what it was.

        
Message 23 of 28
nickn86
Contributor

I applied on the AmEx website, but it was a special offer linked from that credit card site during the Plat 100k/PRG 50k special offer.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 24 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

Not related to Amex per se, but recently I was requesting an increase in a card with Chase.  To my surprise, the pull was TU, where in the past, it had always been Eq.

So, perhaps, the issuers are changing the pace since we all seem to know whom they pull?

Message 25 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

Not related to Amex per se, but recently I was requesting an increase in a card with Chase.  To my surprise, the pull was TU, where in the past, it had always been Eq.

So, perhaps, the issuers are changing the pace since we all seem to know whom they pull?

I think that's a different issue Open.

I'll take my own example.  BOFA softs EX all the time for me; there's no sense their making a hard pull against Experian for my frivolous CLI request when they have that data and they can improve resolution by pulling some other bureau... TU in this case.  For the sake of the argument, I'm assuming that for the big lenders, all CRA's cost the same for a report pull, admittedly that might not be the case.

Same thing applies for pretty much every other lender, and anecdotally Chase does this.  I was just approved on EX (who everyone wants to see for me) for a Freedom; that's likely the bureau they will poll via SP too since I've been in Cali for the past 8 years.  Since they have that information in the databases, I'm probably going to get my CLI HP in a year or so on either EQ or TU, because they get better resolution for the same cost.

It's just smart business in this case as not everything (especially small one-off negatives) get reported to all three bureaus though admittedly the major things these days are  reporting to all three so this practice probably doesn't provide as much value now... but if it's cost neutral and the infrastructure supports it, might as well do it.  It's the only reason we still do tri-merge reports for mortgages, but the cost is 3X a single pull (roughly) and for CC exposure that's not deemed necessary... but if they can get near mortgage resolution over the course of the account anyway, pure win.

        
Message 26 of 28
high-flyer
Established Member

@jake619 wrote:

Initially I got the 7-10 day notice but then about a minute later I went to the status check URL and I was approved.  

Where do I find the status check???

Thanks

Message 27 of 28
myjourney
Super Contributor

@high-flyer wrote:

@jake619 wrote:

Initially I got the 7-10 day notice but then about a minute later I went to the status check URL and I was approved.  

Where do I find the status check???

Thanks

https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do

Old thread alert 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.