Amex questions: RAT, AF refund, pers/bus

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex questions: RAT, AF refund, pers/bus

@wasCB14wrote:

@simplynoirwrote:

Considering the renewal just got charged to the SPG I don't foresee any problems on cancelling it. You might be prorated the first month and get a refund for the remaining 11 months at worst. Check for retention offers if the plan is to keep it to avoid any RAT issues to minimize the loss of the AF.

@MrDisco99wrote:

If you're within 30 days of the AF posting, you should get it back if you cancel.  You've had the card for a year so I don't expect they will give you a hard time over it.

Do I have to cancel within 60 days of the AF posting or something to get even a partial AF refund? I thought I read that was a change.

I will explore FT to see what retention options are likely.

Not that it matters anymore seeing as you got a retention offer (congrats on that btw) but I believe cancellation refunds are determined based on how much time you've had the card after the card has been charged the AF. I think what I couldn't remember is how they handled the first 30 days so I'd go off what MrDisco99 said on that. If this has changed recently I didn't know about it.

Message 11 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I did some investigating (by which I mean I actually checked my cardmember agreement)...

"If an Annual Membership fee applies, we will refund this fee if you notify us that you are voluntarily closing your Account within 30 days of the Closing Date of the billing statement on which that fee appears. For cancellations after this 30 day period, the Annual Membership fee is non-refundable."

The rule might not apply all of Amex's AF cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14wrote:

3. If I put three $200 true business expenses on the card, but then a personal expense of $5k, would I be exceeding the personal/business flexibility Amex intends, and risk AA? - No problem whatsoever

Message 13 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

3. If I put three $200 true business expenses on the card, but then a personal expense of $5k, would I be exceeding the personal/business flexibility Amex intends, and risk AA? - No problem whatsoever

Good to know!

Message 14 of 20
mdd0214
Contributor

I've opened & closed quite a few Amex cards in the past year (all of the personal and some of the biz MR & Delta cards). In nearly every case, I cancelled within 3-6 months and received a complete refund of the annual fee. I've cancelled all of them through chat and never had any pushback, nor have I asked for or received any retention offers.

To add to the other point, Amex does not care at all about personal or possibly personal expenses. I've had clients that run their entire lives through their business amex charging 6 figures a year in personal expenses without any issue. I've got one now who does the opposite and everything is on a personal amex, including all of his business expenses. 

Message 15 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@mdd0214wrote:

I've opened & closed quite a few Amex cards in the past year (all of the personal and some of the biz MR & Delta cards). In nearly every case, I cancelled within 3-6 months and received a complete refund of the annual fee. I've cancelled all of them through chat and never had any pushback, nor have I asked for or received any retention offers.

To add to the other point, Amex does not care at all about personal or possibly personal expenses. I've had clients that run their entire lives through their business amex charging 6 figures a year in personal expenses without any issue. I've got one now who does the opposite and everything is on a personal amex, including all of his business expenses. 

Hmm...the full AF refunds do surprise me.

Maybe the pushback is more common when customers call vs. chat?

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14wrote:

Called retention. Accepted +7k Starpoints for $1k spend over 3 months.

Good deal. 

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:
If you aren't going to use the card cancel it. SPG is going away anyway so you won't get a whole year worth of the card anyway

Are there any updates on what personal SPG cards will be force-PCed to? Something like the Chase Marriott Premier?

So should we cancel our SPG cards right before conversion and then sign up for Marriott cards for SUB?  

Message 18 of 20
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:
If you aren't going to use the card cancel it. SPG is going away anyway so you won't get a whole year worth of the card anyway

Are there any updates on what personal SPG cards will be force-PCed to? Something like the Chase Marriott Premier?

So should we cancel our SPG cards right before conversion and then sign up for Marriott cards for SUB?  

Probably should wait for more info to come from Marriott/AMEX/Chase before anything else. I'm in a holding pattern on deciding what to do myself.

Message 19 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@simplynoirwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@wasCB14wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Probably should wait for more info to come from Marriott/AMEX/Chase before anything else. I'm in a holding pattern on deciding what to do myself.

I considered waiting for more info even without a retention offer. With one, that's certainly my course.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.