cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex questions for those with American Express accounts?

tag
chris288
Regular Contributor

Amex questions for those with American Express accounts?

I have 2 Amex cards... Hilton Honors and Blue Cash Preferred.

One has a low limit 1k and the other has a 15k limit. I did the 3x rule on the BCP card in December and that is how I got to a 15k from 5k.

It's my understanding that Amex will only let u do that on 1 account every 6 months.

So I was going to transfer 5k over to the Hilton card that has 1k limit, then in June do the 3x rule to get that limit higher.

One question is Amex just updated my score from them this month to a 749. Should I go ahead and apply for a CLI on the Hilton before 6 months? Will they auto deny me if I call in, or just wait so they will not pull my EX file?

Also I have a business and wanted to apply for their business card. I had heard they will not hard pull me if I have accounts already. Is this correct? Also Amex business doesn't show on personal credit either correct?

Thanks for the help. Just want to maximize my accounts with them.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex questions for those with American Express accounts?

They don't HP if you are denied as an existing customer. If approved they will do a HP.

Correct that the CLI rule is per person every 6 months, regardless of how many cards you have with them.
Message 2 of 5
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

1 CLI per person every 181 days.  If you do it before then you get an auto denial but, it doesn't reset the timer or anything.

Moving 5K and then 3X to 30K is a good idea if you want to test the waters and stay under the auto 4506 trigger that usually happens around 34.5K.

Can't speak to the biz side of the house.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait 6 months before you do another CLI.
Message 4 of 5
chris288
Regular Contributor

Thanks Austin and wander-

I will look into their business card now, then wait the 181 days for the 3x rule.

Glad u mentioned the 4506. I didn't know where the threshold was. Thought it was anything over 25k.

Thanks for the help
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.