Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex "Earn a Higher Credit Line"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex "Earn a Higher Credit Line"

In my experience, the CSRs new nothing about “steps” when I called shortly after the sixth statement cut. If it’s any consolation, my “steps” increase occured six days before my 7th statement cut (I noticed it right away.). I’d advise waiting until the 7th statement before filing a CFPB complaint.

Good luck.
Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@patoot10 wrote:

Actually the offer terms stated the samething (the white page with the fees schedule) and I think the language is firm you CAN if you DO. Since I DID they OWE.

No, not really. Because "CAN" does not mean "WILL". "Can" is a possiblity, not definite. Evertything stated is left open ended for a reason.

This is not binding legal agreement promising anything, it's merely a guideline to follow in hopes of earning a CLI.

I never followed these rules anyways, as I barely used my BCE. At 61+ days I requested a CLI online and got it, 3X SL. Then today at the 180 day mark, requested another CLI for 3X my current CL. If you're too impatient for an auto, just do it yourself. The outcome will be the same either way. Unless, as others have mentioned, you already recieved a CLI on another product with Amex. 

Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's what the OP wrote in a thread he/she created:  AMEX 3x CLI on day 61 success

"Hello

So I openned my Amex Blue Cash on Sep 5 which meant that Nov 5 was the day

SL was 2,000 so I requested 6,000 and boom approved right away

For those wondering my EX is 701 and I have tons of recent inquires also I openned Amex Everyday in October and apparently that didn't mess up any internal stuff .. I did use the card a lot and hit the minimuim spend within 45 days from account openning and also refered a friend and got $75 dollars"

A BCE was opened on 9/5/17 and received a 3X CLI 11/5/17; meanwhile an ED opened in 10/17.  Its quite likely that the number of inquiries and reduced Average Age of Accounts decreased their credit scores and caused Amex to place them in "credit steps" for the ED Card.  Its rather unusual for Amex to place a second card in "steps" since one assumes a better credit profile after the first card.  Also we don't know what else might have changed in terms of the user's overall utilization, etc. and they aren't being very forthcoming.

The Terms & Conditions in the "credit steps" email clearly state that any CLI will occur "by the end of the sixth month after your first payment."  Assuming the first payment for the ED was due in 11/17, six months have not yet elapsed.

For those suggesting a CFPB complaint; what exactly would be the reason for the complaint?  What specific terms of the Card User Agreement have been violated?  Nowhere in the "credit steps" e-mail does it state that it is a part of, or amends, the User Agreement.

Message 23 of 38
601flyguy
Established Contributor

@Janus, i did the same. I didn't follow the steps and have received 2 3x cli right on time. Im looking forward to my next 3x request in 3 weeks
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did either of you receive an e-mail similar to the one the OP got?

@601flyguy wrote:
@Anonymous, i did the same. I didn't follow the steps and have received 2 3x cli right on time. Im looking forward to my next 3x request in 3 weeks

Message 25 of 38
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I was focusing on the statement date since you must have a statement balance when the statement cuts at the Statement date.

If you pay off your card before the statement cuts and it cuts with a 0 dollar balance. You are not following the guidelines.

Part E also states if you have received a CLI recently that you will not receive one on this account even if you follow all the guidelines

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I don't actually recall getting an email worded like that, don't save them either. I wouldn't have qualified even if i did though, as I didn't use my card the first 1-3 months, just a small BT for a bit. Then large purchase at 5 months. 

Message 27 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I followed the "earn a higher credit line" guidelines and received a $500 CLI maybe a week after my 6th statement cut (when the 6th statement cut, I paid it immediately, not sure if that matters in the CLI time frame).

OP, calm down. With this "earn a higher credit line" program, the CLI is only $500. Usually anyway. It might be $1000. But it's nothing to get fired up about. Yeah, it's nice and gratifying to see it happen but it's nothing to file a complaint over. It will happen in time. They don't OWE you anything.

Message 28 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

You certainly would have known if you were in Amex's version of "credit steps."  In addition to a minimal credit line like $500 or $1000, you are not given a signup bonus and Amex sends some form of notification (usually e-mail).  Starting with a low credit line does not necessarily mean you're in "credit steps. " 

I was in "steps" and I received a similar e-mail.  But I didn't follow the terms outlined; I never carried a balance, I paid in full before statement cut, and sometimes made multiple payments in a single month.  In short I used the card normally just as I would any other card and 182 days from the approval date I received a 2X CLI; just as the e-mail stated.

@Anonymous wrote:

wrote:

I don't actually recall getting an email worded like that, don't save them either. I wouldn't have qualified even if i did though, as I didn't use my card the first 1-3 months, just a small BT for a bit. Then large purchase at 5 months. 

Message 29 of 38
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

For those belittling my situation and saying things like "whatever or amex doesn't owe you anything". I am sure if you met the minimum spend and didn't get the signup bonus you were promised you will be crying to customer service then to CFPB. I didn't get a signup offer when I applied for the card, instead credit steps was my offer. So I should get it just as anyone would get a signup bonus after hitting minimum spend.

For those asking why I am in credit steps given my good profile and high scores the reason is that my profile is not that old and my scores are high cause I keep my utilization low and I have no baddies and solid credit mix. So at some point when I applied I got credit steps instead becuase profile wasn't as strong.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.