Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex reconsiders themselves?

tag
LesWH
Established Contributor

Amex reconsiders themselves?

I applied for the Amex Green October 11, 2012. I was denied and a letter was sent to me listing inquiries and 2 paid collections as the reason for the denial. Last week, the collections were removed. This morning, I saw that American Express pulled my Experian report again. I thought that was strange, since I didn't apply again. Later in the day I got an email saying that my application had been approved! Has anyone had this happen before? it was 20 days between the application, which resulted in a denial and then an approval from a second hard pull that I didn't authorize.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
twelfthjoe2
Established Member

Re: Amex reconsiders themselves?

@LesWH wrote:

I applied for the Amex Green October 11, 2012. I was denied and a letter was sent to me listing inquiries and 2 paid collections as the reason for the denial. Last week, the collections were removed. This morning, I saw that American Express pulled my Experian report again. I thought that was strange, since I didn't apply again. Later in the day I got an email saying that my application had been approved! Has anyone had this happen before? it was 20 days between the application, which resulted in a denial and then an approval from a second hard pull that I didn't authorize.

That's odd. Did you ask for a recon? Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

congrats, never heard of this though.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 3 of 10
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Are you sure it was a Hard Pull and not a soft inquiry? Amex soft pulls/inquires a lot,

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 10
LesWH
Established Contributor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

Are you sure it was a Hard Pull and not a soft inquiry? Amex soft pulls/inquires a lot,

It was definitely a hard pull on Experian. There are now 2 hard pulls from American Express on my Experian report. One from October 11, 2012 and one from October 31, 2012.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

Message 5 of 10
Epcot
Valued Contributor

That is very strange. I would definitely call in and ask what happened.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 6 of 10
alboto
Regular Contributor

I would definitely call and try to get one of them inquiries recoded.

Message 7 of 10
LesWH
Established Contributor

@alboto wrote:

I would definitely call and try to get one of them inquiries recoded.

How do I do that? Call Amex or Experian?

Message 8 of 10
Wahoo
Valued Member

Maybe when the collections were removed they notified those that had pulled your credit recently and Amex got the new report.  I know when I have successfully disputed items in the past I get this message from the CRA that they will notify anyone who has recently received my CR but I never thought it actually worked.

EX08: 832 (myFICO 10/07/14)
TU08: 806 (Walmart/MC 05/06/15)
TU08: 834 (myFICO 10/07/14)
EQ08: 830 (myFICO 10/07/14)
EQ04: 809 (Digital Credit Union 05/29/15)
Message 9 of 10
Wahoo
Valued Member

BTW twelfthjoe2, love the siggy.  How did you do it?

EX08: 832 (myFICO 10/07/14)
TU08: 806 (Walmart/MC 05/06/15)
TU08: 834 (myFICO 10/07/14)
EQ08: 830 (myFICO 10/07/14)
EQ04: 809 (Digital Credit Union 05/29/15)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.