Did you mean: 

Amex revolving balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex revolving balance

netpanther wrote:

fail2deliver wrote:

Oh, and extended warranties are the biggest scam in the world, people buy like 4 year extended warranties when the machine's obsolete after 2.

Usually, yes. However, if you are like me and very busy and do all your work on a notebook, the extra year of "free online calling for questions" is worth it to me.

I normally do not buy them, but on computers I do. Has bailed my but out of situations before- and this is one area I won't change my mind on an ext. warranty unless I get burnt- so far buy an extra 125 for two whole years of free tech support is very, very worth it to me.

PS- didn't buy a four year. Bought a two year. Of course it would be foolish to buy a 4 year- the machine is outdated in six mos to a year. But I am not made of money- so I can only afford a new one every 2 1/2 to three years.

Desktop in my room is five years, and what I have found is that if you find some good online reps- if you have to call in for a quest on your newer one, sometimes they will help you if something pops up on your older one- they did that for me the other day.

Case in point- was setting up a network wireles printer, so they helped me w/ the old one too.
Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

in 4 months for sure i can pay it off but 3 would be pushing it as i want to save some money as well on the side and not use all my available money
Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

well i could put half the money on one card and the rest on amex and work on amex first and use my wamu with min payments Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

fail2deliver wrote:
$2700 isn't THAT much for a new computer when considering the cost of his monitor..

I spent $1800 on my box + $600 for 2 monitors, and that wasn't super high end. Since then I spent another $400 on it (new graphics card and 1 more hard drive, bringing the total up to 6)

I'm also getting a 12 drive fileserver Smiley Tongue

But anyway, almost maxxing your card out and then not PIFing might get amex nervous.

How much one spends on a computer is relative- I was just pointing out that again, to check the costs versus how fast it can become outdated and to just keep it in mind.
Yes, if you are building it, it can be a good deal, but a lot  of people do not know how to build their own- and spend just or more money than they would spend having Dell build one to specs, it depends on how much  you know about buidling one.

To the OP- good luck! Keep us posted when you get it done!
Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your wamu 0% APR too?

Prioritize in this way (IMO):
First, do what's most cost effective
Second, do what's best for your credit rating
Third, worry about individual cards

And a desktop lasting 5 years? No way, for me it's the other way around. I'll keep a laptop for 5 years (All I do on a laptop is word processing, email, etc.), but desktops have to go after 2 years, especially if you play games. I built my last desktop though, so I can save some $ by gutting it and reusing things like my case and my $350 RAID card (dam does that thing makes my data transfer to/from hard drives fast)
Message 15 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

bman69 wrote:
well i could put half the money on one card and the rest on amex and work on amex first and use my wamu with min payments Smiley Happy

Try to keep as few cards as possible reporting limits, and rather than max out one, I might go for two under 50 perc. util, but after that- you will have to decide.
Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, btw. www.overclock.net is a message board w/ a ton of ppl who build computers, so unless you're pro at this stuff, you should hop on there and post what parts you're putting into your box, I'm sure people'll give you some helpful advice Smiley Happy

I got advice there when I put my box together, and it saved me some $ too (Like I bought an E6600 instead of an E6700 per their suggestion, and just overclocked the 6600 to the 6700's speed, free $100 upgrade!)
Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

fail2deliver wrote:
Is your wamu 0% APR too?

Prioritize in this way (IMO):
First, do what's most cost effective
Second, do what's best for your credit rating
Third, worry about individual cards

And a desktop lasting 5 years? No way, for me it's the other way around. I'll keep a laptop for 5 years (All I do on a laptop is word processing, email, etc.), but desktops have to go after 2 years, especially if you play games. I built my last desktop though, so I can save some $ by gutting it and reusing things like my case and my $350 RAID card (dam does that thing makes my data transfer to/from hard drives fast)

LOL! We're saying the same exact thing. Desktops you can make last longer, laptops/notebooks no.
2-3 years on laptops.
Message 18 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes its a new wamu i havent gotten it yet but its in the mail so i can put most of the price on that card and use the amex for the rest, then i can pay like $800/month on my amex to pay that off fast and then pay whatever i have left on the wamu until the amex is paid off, also i have another amex coming i could combine the CLs for $8700 total but thats just a thought, i'm unsure if i'm going to buy this at all anytime soon now

BTW i do know how to build my own ive been doing it for years and i can overclock also my pc will be watercooled with a quadcore cpu Smiley Happy

Message Edited by bman69 on 12-22-2007 08:27 PM
Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, by "making it last longer" you're essentially dumping every part except the case and DVD burner, which are 10% of the cost at most (My case is special, since I have special use parts like the RAID card, which 99% of people don't have, so that doesn't count)

The current laptop I have I can see using for another 3 years, and it's already 2 years old. It's only a single core machine, but it's good enough for checking email. Plus it's small, 3 lbs, one of those 12.1" thinkpads.
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.