Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex's thru other banks

tag
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex's thru other banks

And that is where I'm at now kdm. For a while I thought I'd have to get cobranded card, but I held off, and since then, I've gone beyond putting myself in position to just get one with them.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 21 of 26
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I never really understood the point of Amex cards through other banks. Can someone explain why I'd want an bofa Amex or Penfed Amex etc?

For me none of the Amex cards currently offered fit with my spend and therefore are useless to me; however I do have a card offered by a different bank that runs on the Amex network because those rewards do fit in with my spend. I always look at the rewards structure and whether it matches my spend instead of the network the card runs on (which has been known to change from time to time depending on the bank issuing the card)

Message 22 of 26
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

I have the FNBO issued Amex and while only using their network they do extend travel privileges with "preferred treatment".  Not quite up to Amex own cards but more than some.  Plus 2% cashback which while not a lot, it's certainly better than nothing.  Anyway, you don't get all the perks of a 'real' Amex but certain offers from different banks will come with some of the travel perks.

Message 23 of 26
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I have several Amex co-brand cards with various lenders that operate on their networks.

Personally speaking, after they killed off the once useful backdating, started making life miserable for customers here and there, and by virtue of their persistent low SL's anymore for most newcomers and even some seasoned customers of theirs, there's nothing that they could possibly offer now or in the future for me that my current bank relationships can't meet or beat hands down, including that 3x CLI they are so known for.

100% satisfied just running thru their network other lender's cards that are amex co-brands, nothing more, nothing less.

Message 24 of 26
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do Amex cards thru other banks like Penfed count toward the 5 revolving limit for amex? Or is that just for Amex issued direct cards?

The limit of five credit cards is for cards directly issued by American Express. (note that you can have additional charge cards from American Express (Green, Gold, Platinum, etc.) above the five credit cards)  The limit of five is across all personal and business credit cards. 

Card with the Amex logo but issued by other lenders - Macy's Amex, FNBO Amex, USAA Amex, PenFed Amex - these are totally separate. FWIW, these cards may not work for Amex Offers also.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

BlueBird reloadable by AMEX offers AMEX deals.  

As for AMEX Network,  it was great for Costco reasons before...Smiley LOL

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.