cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex says no 0apr for my new card though it had when I applied

tag
Raku

Amex says no 0apr for my new card though it had when I applied

Online application form had 0apr offer so i have applied. Now i am very mad that they say it was not approved for 0apr. Only credit card was approved

13 REPLIES 13
Laredo
Contributor

Re: Amex says no 0apr for my new card though it had when I applied

Which card did you get?  I'm have the Amex BCE and it reflects 0% APR until December 12, 2023.  

Are you saying when you applied it showed an APR but now it doesn't?  If so I see no complaint.  Amex seems to be running 0% APR on almost all their cards and I'm sure it is to compete with Discover, Truist, and other credit card companies/banks that are offering the same thing.  All my new cards have 0% APR for 12 or 15 months depending on the card.  I checked the Amex site and it shows 0% APR on most of the cards.

(Ch13 Discharged 07/22) Current Cards: American Express Gold: NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Everyday: $15,000 | American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum: $1,700 | Navy Federal Credit Union Cash Rewards: $10,000 | Dover Federal Credit Union Cash Back: $10,000 | Penfed Cash Rewards: $7,500 | Truist Enjoy Cash: $5,500 | Truist Enjoy Travel: $5,500 | Truist Future: $3,500 | Bread American Express Cash Back $8,500 | Discover it $12,000 | USAA Rewards Amex $12,000 | Kohl’s $800 | Care Credit $7,000 | Lowes $3,000 | Amazon Store Card $1,500 | Jared $5,000
Total Revolving Credit: $108,500
Closed Rebuild Cards: Ollo Platinum: $3,900 | Ollo Rewards: $3,000 | Mercury $3,000 | Surge Card $1,000
Message 2 of 14
Raku

Yes 0apr was an offer when i applied. Since that was the offer i went ahead and used my credit and paid monthly payments for 15 months i got know after an year that i was being charged intrest the whole time. When i asked amex they say 0apr was not an offer for the card you applied I was shocked . Not sure what are my options. I tried escalating but of no use

Message 3 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Raku wrote:

i got know after an year that i was being charged intrest the whole time. 

So no statement checking in that first year!  I can see it will be difficult to dispute

Message 4 of 14
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

After 15 months its hard to dispute this. This shows we need to carefully review our statements when we receive them. Mistakes happen and can be fixed when detected on time.

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 5 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Raku wrote:

Yes 0apr was an offer when i applied. Since that was the offer i went ahead and used my credit and paid monthly payments for 15 months i got know after an year that i was being charged intrest the whole time. When i asked amex they say 0apr was not an offer for the card you applied I was shocked . Not sure what are my options. I tried escalating but of no use

You didn't check your statements at all for a whole year? That's not good. Not trying to judge, but you really need to check your CC statements very carefully every month for all your cards. I don't think you can do anything about it at this point. 

What Amex card specifically did you apply for thinking it had 0%?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 14
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Agree with @longtimelurker  and @learningcredit54.

Extreme time frame before discovering the interest charges will make it very hard to dispute.

One should review each statement shortly after posting.

Fraud and banking errors are not uncommon, and the job is yours.

I can not understand how one would not review a statement for 15 months.

I am sure many on this forum login  to every card issuer every other or third day to review charges, etc.

One should review, download, and save each monthly statement. (Local computer or print and save)

I have many years of statements from all cards, it had come in handy more than once.

Message 7 of 14
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

Agree with @longtimelurker  and @learningcredit54.

Extreme time frame before discovering the interest charges will make it very hard to dispute.

One should review each statement shortly after posting.

Fraud and banking errors are not uncommon, and the job is yours.

I can not understand how one would not review a statement for 15 months.

I am sure many on this forum login  to every card issuer every other or third day to review charges, etc.

One should review, download, and save each monthly statement. (Local computer or print and save)

I have many years of statements from all cards, it had come in handy more than once.

I was one who never reviewed statement. All I did was see how much I owe and when it was due. Then when I couldn't even get a candy bar on credit I realized I need to learn the game and better manage credit - this the name learningcredit - i am learning from my mistakesand info from the forum

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 8 of 14
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Raku wrote:

As others have pointed out, 15mo is too many statements to try to correct! However if you can find your welcome letter or emails that showed your promotional APR then you may! Having the proof is important!

But I'm thinking you may have signed up for a wrong product to begin with!

Message 9 of 14
learningtheropesofcredit
Established Member

My guess is the welcome letter will say there isn't an introductory zero percent APR.  What I would bet happened is that he wasn't logged into his AmEx account (or didn't have one).  Saw an offer and applied.  But, then didn't pay attention (and not looking at your statements for over a year may lend credence to this), and AmEx subtly told him he didn't qualify for the intro APR offer on the card, but he could still get the card.

I've had this happen with SUBs before.  I click a link for a SUB, then try to apply and the SUB (and introductory offer APR) is gone, once AmEx runs the application.  They then let you back out, before getting the hard pull or running your credit.  Or you can proceed and get the card without the introductory offer.  Something in their system told them he didn't qualify; maybe he barely qualified for the card, but AmEx was still giving it to him, but without the APR.

That's my educated guess, but I've read on the boards it happening to others.  And it's certainly happened to me.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.