Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex settlement oasis question

tag
Lightdog555
New Contributor

Amex settlement oasis question

http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/american-express-capital-one-and-discover-refunds-total-435-mil...
How does this affect us that are in oasis? Do we get pre approvals for new cards or refunds? I would like a higher limit nothing more.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex settlement oasis question

Wow this is big news....I paid them $3000 to clear the debt and get the card but as soon as I paid the account off the updated my CRA with CO for the previous 8 months didn't help my score as much as I hoped for.
Message 2 of 23
Lightdog555
New Contributor

Do you still have your optima card? In January it will be 12 months with mine. Never over limit and never late. I really don't want a refund as I did owe them the money I would like either a higher limit or PC to a different card. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Message 3 of 23
beb86
Valued Contributor

I got mine in march or February I can't remember but I agree a cli or pc would be great
Message 4 of 23
Lightdog555
New Contributor

I am a bit concerned if I contact Amex they may issue a refund and then close the account. I think ill send a generic email and ask what options they have. My account was backed to 2000 and I only have 2 credit cards along with a auto loan. I am still in the rebuilding stage.
Message 5 of 23
beb86
Valued Contributor

Yeah that sounds like a good idea keep us updated as im curious as to where this goes
Message 6 of 23
Lightdog555
New Contributor

After calling the exective line it turns out a seperate department is handling this matter. They will notify people by mail in the upcoming weeks. He did say that right now it is not possible to increase the limit on oasis cards as they are "hard coded" in their system. I am hope full if I write a letter maybe I can get a higher limit or PC instead of a refund.
Message 7 of 23
sjt
Senior Contributor

Amex is being fined becasue they were not clear in their collection practices by not declosing the repercustions of settled balance with them and how it will effect their future credit decisisions. They were also fined by stating that paying a balance will have positive reflection on their credit report, even though it fell off their report due to age.

From my understanding the Amex settlement will affect people under the following circumstances:

1) If someone applied and was denied a card because they settled a debt for less then what was owed.

2) If someone applied and was denied a card because they settled a debt for less then what was owed and they paid the remaining balance.

3) If someone paid their Amex Card based on what was told to them regarding their credit report.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 23
mleun481

I received a $100 check from Amex because of the CFPB enforcement the other day and then yesterday, I received an application to apply for the Amex Optima.  The app states that credit line increase is not possible for 36months and the limit would be from $500 to $1000. 

I had a charge off in 2007 of $7k and received a 1099c because of it. 

Should I apply for the Optima even though theres no guarantee I will get approved? 

Message 9 of 23
sjt
Senior Contributor

From my understanding the application you received was a pre approved application.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.