Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex shows me what I bought??

tag
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Amex shows me what I bought??

I just had a transaction from Staples post on my card. When I click on the details, it shows the date, time, address, but also says at the bottom: command mini hooks, and papermate erasers. So, from Staples at least, Amex knows exactly what you bought.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex shows me what I bought??

@ilovelisa wrote:

I just had a transaction from Staples post on my card. When I click on the details, it shows the date, time, address, but also says at the bottom: command mini hooks, and papermate erasers. So, from Staples at least, Amex knows exactly what you bought.

That is pretty interesting and get people in trouble who are into MS.  Good for Amex.

Message 2 of 29
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

I did also use my card online to reload my Starbucks card, and at the bottom of that one it says "GIFT CARD"

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think most places now give a detailed breakdown of the charges. I noticed Amex shows rest charges and has a separate tip amount, so if I'm cheap or over tip the waiter/waitress they know that also.

I think at most stores they know when its a gift card. I know places like cvs spell it out in plain letters. Make sure you never buy a book such as "how to file for bankruptcy" on the card.
Message 4 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@purebulldogs500 wrote:
I think most places now give a detailed breakdown of the charges. 

I think at most stores they know when its a gift card. I know places like cvs spell it out in plain letters. Make sure you never buy a book such as "how to file for bankruptcy" on the card.

Only if the store does enhanced reporting, and most still don't.  (And I've never seen any detail on all my CVS gift charges.)

And for Amex, yesterday bought $2000 + fees of gift cards at a local supermarket.

DOING BUSINESS AS

STOP & SHOP
MERCHANT ADDRESS

XXXX
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

568397 GROCERY STORE
REFERENCE NUMBER

XXXX
CATEGORY

MERCHANDISE & SUPPLIES - GROCERIES

GROCERY STORE

Is all that shows on my Amex statement

Message 5 of 29
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@purebulldogs500 wrote:

Only if a store uses Level 3 data reporting. Staples is one of those store. Not a lot of them reports Level 3 data.

Message 6 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@purebulldogs500 wrote:

Only if a store uses Level 3 data reporting. Staples is one of those store. Not a lot of them reports Level 3 data.

Do you know if that is corporate wide?   Looking at the Visa site, https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp

when I look at Staples in my area, most show no enhanced reporting, a few Level 2, and another few:

Level II
Level III Line Item
Level III Summary

so either the info isn't up to date, or some stores provide it and others don't (and maybe that multiple entry means some registers in a store do!)

Message 7 of 29
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

I don't think Staples near me shows me that at all 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 8 of 29
Mish0817
Regular Contributor

Staples reports this way for all cards, I have a MC from work and my staples charges are always itemized

Eq 675
TU 681
Ex your guess is as goodas mine!

Nfcu Cash Rewards 15000, Nfcu nRewards Mc 15000, Walmart 600, Target 400, VS 650,Capital one 3750, Us Bank 300, Discover 4500,Citi DP 1500, Chase Freedom 2000. And I'm done...... no more cards just going to tend my garden
Message 9 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Do you use several staples stores?   

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.