Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex situation

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amex situation

So awhile back i posted about the Amex PRG offer that showed up under Amex offers in my account. 25k for 1k spend in three months. I had this card back in 2014 but it has been closed for the last 2 1/2 years. I go to open the chat and that somehow erases all my amex offers from the screen. The chat person keeps sending me a link for the same offer but with 2k spend (which is the standard offer). After a lot of back and forth they tell me to call the app line. I call the app line and they tell me they do not have the ability to see what offers are sent to me online.

She tells me that I can not get the offer again no matter what if I had that card in my lifetime before. Even if the offer terms do not have any language saying that it is once in a life time and Amex keeps sending me this offer. So I go back and forth with her for awhile and she says well I can look and see what cards you can get. So I'm like fine. Then she goes into my account and tells me all the amex cards I have had and claims I never had the Amex PRG card so I can app for that card. I made her list off all my amex cards ever opened and I had her count them up and I wrote them down and counted them up too. There is no way the amex prg is showing because how could she keep missing it and that would explain why amex keeps sending me offers about this card. I have no idea why. Based on this I figure I should wait until the PRG has a good signup offer again and then app vs taking the 25k points for 1k spend. Thoughts?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex situation

@red259 wrote:

So awhile back i posted about the Amex PRG offer that showed up under Amex offers in my account. 25k for 1k spend in three months. I had this card back in 2014 but it has been closed for the last 2 1/2 years. I go to open the chat and that somehow erases all my amex offers from the screen. The chat person keeps sending me a link for the same offer but with 2k spend (which is the standard offer). After a lot of back and forth they tell me to call the app line. I call the app line and they tell me they do not have the ability to see what offers are sent to me online.

She tells me that I can not get the offer again no matter what if I had that card in my lifetime before. Even if the offer terms do not have any language saying that it is once in a life time and Amex keeps sending me this offer. So I go back and forth with her for awhile and she says well I can look and see what cards you can get. So I'm like fine. Then she goes into my account and tells me all the amex cards I have had and claims I never had the Amex PRG card so I can app for that card. I made her list off all my amex cards ever opened and I had her count them up and I wrote them down and counted them up too. There is no way the amex prg is showing because how could she keep missing it and that would explain why amex keeps sending me offers about this card. I have no idea why. Based on this I figure I should wait until the PRG has a good signup offer again and then app vs taking the 25k points for 1k spend. Thoughts?

I would wait until the 50K for $2K spend offer comes back. 

Message 2 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Whatever you do, keep in mind that Amex has a reputation for being inflexible when it comes to signup bonuses. They may not honor any new PRG bonus if their computers rediscover your 2014 PRG.

Maybe there's some Platinum variant you could pick up for a guaranteed spend bonus?

I don't suggest getting PRG unless you'd want one even without a bonus. The airfare "extras" credits for 2017 and 2018 could at least provide a small boost.

One question: When someone gets a PRG for the second time, does Amex still waive the first-year AF? Or that waiver is just for people totally new to the card?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 12
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I have that same 50k/2k offer right now.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could go for the Business Gold Rewards card its got its $175 AF waived, also has 50k MRs after 3k spend, assuming you have a small business.  If you had the PRG in 2014, but amex has no record of it (does it show in your credit reports?), I would wait for a better offer.

Message 5 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Where? Is it a targetted offer?

;
Message 6 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You could go for the Business Gold Rewards card its got its $175 AF waived, also has 50k MRs after 3k spend, assuming you have a small business.  If you had the PRG in 2014, but amex has no record of it (does it show in your credit reports?), I would wait for a better offer.

I have the business gold already. 

;
Message 7 of 12
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Where? Is it a targetted offer?

No, anyone can get it, but it's fairly random. Put your web browser in incognito mode and hope for the best:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/increased-american-express-credit-card-bonuses-incognito-mode-back-lis...

Message 8 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

Looking through the cards the rep listed off I discovred another card was missing and that was the BCP. She noted my blue cash card which is the downgraded version but not the BCP. The reason that this is interesting is because I got the BCP and Amex PRG at the same time in Jan 2014., 

;
Message 9 of 12
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

I first noticed it as a thin banner that ran across my home screen when I signed in to AmEx to pay my bill. It also lists it under the "offers" section in my account at the top where it lists deals they offer for using your card. It also is listed under their AmEx card offerings targeted to me in my account. They also offered me 60,000MR for the Platinum. I've been thinking about taking the 50,000 for $2,000 PRG. Just don't know how much use I'd have for it afterward.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.