cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex spending ability

tag

Amex spending ability

Im just curious if this is something weird with me or normal for everyone.  I use my Amex card for a lot of things I've had my balances anywhere from 1500 to 18,000 but lately when I check my spending ability it denies me for any amount although if I call in I said 50k and the lady said approved?.....  I have no intention of spending this amount but I was just curious.  The lady said there was a problem with there new system is this the case with anyone  else.  I don't like calling in so I was just wondering.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex spending ability

Just curious, are you just checking the epnding ability without any plans to use it? I heard its not a good idea to play with it because it could set off a fraud alert

Message 2 of 7

No I wasn't just doing it for sport.  It just annoyed me when it would tell me to call in.

Message 3 of 7
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@john398 wrote:

Just curious, are you just checking the epnding ability without any plans to use it? I heard its not a good idea to play with it because it could set off a fraud alert

Smiley Very Happy

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 7
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@237879 wrote:

Im just curious if this is something weird with me or normal for everyone.  I use my Amex card for a lot of things I've had my balances anywhere from 1500 to 18,000 but lately when I check my spending ability it denies me for any amount although if I call in I said 50k and the lady said approved?.....  I have no intention of spending this amount but I was just curious.  The lady said there was a problem with there new system is this the case with anyone  else.  I don't like calling in so I was just wondering.

Careful, you are knocking on the FR boogie man. I understand that many of us got nothing to hide... but it's the fact that you have to give your tax information to other people. It can be a hassle and not to mention account will be on freezing status.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

When you say annoyed about call in... Are you actually getting denied at POS with please call and you don't ike that so you check it or are you worried this will happen?  I would say if you have been at $18k and rep says $50k would be approved, I wouldn't worry about it until at least the $25k range unless it's been more than 6 months since you have been up over say $10k.

Message 6 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

From what I've read, overuse of the check spending ability function goes hand in hand with an FR, so just be careful.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.