Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex spying on my Linkedin

tag
CreditHammer

Re: Amex spying on my Linkedin

@chan85 wrote:

@NJTurnpike wrote:

I'm changing my public LinkedIn profile to say I'm a unemployed rodeo clown without a high school diploma.

Do you think Amex will AA me?

I see a 3x increase in your future! Smiley Wink

What they said Smiley Happy ^^^

Message 51 of 59
SoCalBound
Contributor

Thing that bothers me about this is, those of us who are not involved in social media for privacy issues.  Social Media to many has become the norm, and those who dont participate are now starting to be seen as abnormal.  Will not having a social media stop us in the future for getting increases and approvals because what can be found on us is limited?  "What is wrong with them to not be on social media." "What are they hiding." "Are they even a real person."  

Zync NPSL, BCP ($2000), Chase United ($2000) Chase Amazon ($1500), Chase Freedom ($3000), Discover More ($2000), Paypal Extras ($5000), Citi Forward ($2000), Orchard $2000, Amazon ($5000)
Pre-App Scores: TU98 779, TU04 797, EQ 682, EX 788 (Amex) 8/12
Message 52 of 59
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@SoCalBound wrote:

Thing that bothers me about this is, those of us who are not involved in social media for privacy issues.  Social Media to many has become the norm, and those who dont participate are now starting to be seen as abnormal.  Will not having a social media stop us in the future for getting increases and approvals because what can be found on us is limited?  "What is wrong with them to not be on social media." "What are they hiding." "Are they even a real person."  

Social media will probably get to the point where it is used for approvals and increases, which isn't fair because there are a lot of people who refuse to join or are unable to join (my mom still doesn't have internet or an email address).  

If I had an Amex, I would volunteer to call and ask what other sources they because I am curious as to what they would say.  I own my own business and am very careful about what I put on my Linkedin and Facebook accounts.  I have a Twitter account but have never used it because I just don't understand it.  My accounts are accurate as to what I use for credit apps/increases as far as employment goes and my salary is about average to what others in my position make.

Collection/repossesion companies are also using social media.  A couple of weeks ago, I got a phone call on my home landline (I have a listed number, but I don't use it because I use my cell phone for everything) from someone who asked for my former boss.  When I told her there was no one by that name at the number she called, she asked if I knew him.  I said that he used to be my former boss and explained that I purchased his business when he decided to close it two years ago.  She told me that they had located me because I am Facebook friends with him (he has not posted anything in the past two years and I don't bother to delete anyone unless they are offensive or annoying) and they looked up my phone number.  Since he hasn't updated anything in a while, they are showing that he is the owner of the business still and they saw that I worked there.  He is a co-signer on a car with his son who hasn't been paying so they want to reposses it and they figured that I might know how to contact him, which I don't.  She told me that she was going to have a repossesion agent come by both my work and personal addresses and I told her that they better not knock or step foot at/in either place or call me again or I would go after them for harrassment.  She quickly ended the call at that point, saying that they would update their records.  

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 53 of 59
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

@CreditHammer wrote:

@WunderCard wrote:

This seems relevant...  

I received the notice below on the last page of my April AMEX statement.  Did you guys get this too?  Notice the part underlined in red.  Peaking at your publicly posted employment history would seem to fall under the "any other sources" part of "investigating your abiiltiy to pay".  

Point is, you agreed to this kind of scrutiny when you accepted the card.  Make your acct private if you don't want them snooping!

Looks pretty cut and dry to me.. If you agree to it then they can do it.. Simple as that i suppose.. Although i still dont agree with it, if you app for the card then you're agreeing to the terms of service in the cardmemeber agreement.. and it looks like you're agreeing to them being able to look at you from "all angles"

This is not necessarily true. Just because they make you sign something doesn't make it legal. My bf is newly graduated with a law degree and loves to point out that companies saying that "x does not apply" or "you may not sue us if you accept this agreement" is often them hoping you won't try and would actually not stand up in court.

Also, the idea that "once it's on the internet" it's forever, is totally untrue. I know because I'm always looking for stuff that I remember from just a few years back. Does not exist any more - not on the Wayback, not on the deep web. It's gone. Unless you're a celebrity, the odds are pretty good that stuff you put on the internet is not forever.

Message 54 of 59
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Kimmiller112,

I would think that the collection company broke several laws in your example.....starting with discussing private financial information with someone other than the borrower/co borrower without their expressed permission.

My husband got a call a few years back about a zombie debt, and they would not discuss anything with me.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 55 of 59
mcf
Contributor

LOL @njturnpike... I dare ya!

Starting Score:567Walmart TU 701, Credit Sesame 722, credit secure 701 credit karma 694Last Score: 689 TU/Walmart CK 645 Goal Score:800 CLUB
Last HP:2/2015 Util:9% CL:82KTake the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 56 of 59
electra
Established Contributor

Message 57 of 59
ninjacookies
Valued Member

This thread is deeply disturbing.  Wow.

starting score: 558 3/2010
current scores: TU 674 EQ: 714

Goal: 750+
Message 58 of 59
electra
Established Contributor

@ninjacookies wrote:

This thread is deeply disturbing.  Wow.

But wait...there's more:

http://www.zootweb.com/blog/index.php/trending-social-media-data-future/1644/

Message 59 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.