Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex upgrade invitation question

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Amex upgrade invitation question

I got an email from Amex to upgrade from my Zync to platinum. Not sure I want to because of the annual fee. Based on my usage, it might be worth it - not sure.

But... wondering what they do if I click the "Request your upgrade" button? Is it an automatic approval? Or do I have to apply for the upgrade? 

If anyone knows or has done it, I'd appreciate any info. Also, would that cancel my Zync? Or would I have both cards if I wanted? 

Att'd is the bottom of the email I received. Thank you! 

P.S. I'm so grateful for this forum because I never would have known about the Zync and gotten it if it hadn't been for the help here! 
D57E8F19-5872-4938-A2E2-D653C84D3B10.png

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex upgrade invitation question

If you upgrade you will lose the Zync.

Message 2 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

I got an email from Amex to upgrade from my Zync to platinum. Not sure I want to because of the annual fee. Based on my usage, it might be worth it - not sure.

But... wondering what they do if I click the "Request your upgrade" button? Is it an automatic approval? Or do I have to apply for the upgrade? 

If anyone knows or has done it, I'd appreciate any info. Also, would that cancel my Zync? Or would I have both cards if I wanted? 

Att'd is the bottom of the email I received. Thank you! 

P.S. I'm so grateful for this forum because I never would have known about the Zync and gotten it if it hadn't been for the help here! 

Once you click on the upgrade link and accept the T&C's, there is no going back to ZYNC. Unfortunately, you cannot have both (unless you apply for the Platinum card separately).

I still have ZYNC and have received several upgrade offers over the years including these recent ones for Platinum & Gold. Neither of which I'm taking since I already have Gold (no need for 2). As far as Platinum (and its infamous coupon book), it doesn't fit my CC strategy at the present time. Needless to say, not giving up ZYNC unless it's a forced upgrade/PC (or I'm dead 😂).

ZYNC PlatUpgradeOffer.jpg

ZYNC GoldUpgradeOffer.jpg

So, bottom line, do the math to see whether upgrading makes sense for you. If it doesn't, then just keep things as is.

Message 3 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

If you take the simple upgrade you don't get a big bonus of MR points. Some upgrades may have that sort of offer, this one does not. The $1,500 they mention is only if you manage to use the entire coupon book. If you want a Platinum, apping for a new card with the 100k to 150k MR SUB is the better way to go. Then you also have the ZYNC. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 7
lupes

Fully agree with @NRB525. If the math works for you with a new Platinum (thus, no upgrade), apply for a new card (don't forget to check for elevated offers with CardMatch or pre-qualification). That way you'll get the SUB (I didn't see an upgrade MR bonus in the email, and accepting the upgrade prevents you from ever getting a SUB on the card) and you'll get to keep the zync.

FICO8: EX 756 / TU 765
CC (old to new): BofA Travel Rewards $2,200 / Amex Delta Gold $3,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,400 / Apple Card $10,00 / Amex Morgan Stanley Platinum NPSL / Amex Hilton Surpass $15,000 / Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless $18,000
Message 5 of 7
TomWB
New Contributor

I was kind of on the same boat, and I agree with @NRB525 as well. You should apply for a new Platinum if you want a Platinum. I got an 100K offer to upgrade my gold to platinum earlier this month, but ended up ignoring it and took a referal with 150K and 10X restaurant for first 6 month.

Credit Cards:

P2:

Closed Credit Cards:
Message 6 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Do you get use out of the Zync? Being discontinued for so long, I am curious what benefits it still offers. I know at one time it had add on packs for additional MR. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.