cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex upgrade offer voids the welcome bonus later?

tag
ficomember
Contributor

Re: Amex upgrade offer voids the welcome bonus later?

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@TSlop wrote:

Where do upgrade offers appear? Whenever I get an offer to upgrade my no AF HH card to the Surpass I'll probably take it, especially if the offer matches the current SUB of 125k points. I like the idea if keeping the same account instead of opening another card, even if it is a SP. I'm unsure if I'll either get an email about the upgrade, see it in my account somewhere, or see it only when I look to apply for the Surpass.

They'll email them to you. You can also call in and ask, which is how I found out about my 10k upgrade offer.

You can also check it online. See this post for the steps to check online. https://mypointslife.blogspot.com/2020/05/upgrade-amex-card.html#point1

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be able to see your upgrade offers when logged in the account, mine are present on each one that's eligible. 

Although my offer for Plat is on my ED card, and not Gold for some reason. 

You can also find out while logged in if you click onto said products, whenver i click onto EDP it show me the upgrade offer. Same as it does when I click onto the Plat, and used to do when I had the BCE when i clicked on BCP. 

And as others have stated they will also email you about ever quarter.

Message 12 of 18
Trikoret
Contributor

@Trikoret wrote:

3 years ago I took the upgrade offer to upgrade my Amex Gold to plat to get 60k. I only had the plat card for a week and decided to go back to Gold card cause I had cold feet about paying the $450 annual fee back then. I never got the 60k welcome offer.  The other day I asked CSR if I have any upgrade offers on my account and she said no but I can apply for a new card and get the welcome offer. Is that true or she's clueless?

Normally if you downgrade before 12 months (some recent DPs point to 24 months), you'll become ineligible for the SUB on most cards. Not sure what would happen to you because it was so quick and you never got the SUB. You may still be eligible, you may not be eligible on just that card, or you may not be eligible on most or all the cards anymore. We don't have enough DPs with that timetable to say for sure.

The only card that doesn't have a sub offer is plat card. It just says upgrade. The rest of the Amex cards have subs. But when I go Private mode on browser, the 75k Amex sub show for new Plat account offer. I really don't want to apply for new account and then down the road Amex will say I don't qualify for sub even if the pop-up didn't pop. 

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the upgrade offer? When you click on "upgrade" it should tell you, just don't go any further and finale it. Mine is generally only 60K to upgrad, sometimes 20K. However, you're not likely ever to get the big daddy offer of 75K or more by upgrade. For those higher point tiers you'll have to "apply", for which you can do.

Message 14 of 18
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@ficomember wrote:

@TSlop wrote:

Where do upgrade offers appear? Whenever I get an offer to upgrade my no AF HH card to the Surpass I'll probably take it, especially if the offer matches the current SUB of 125k points. I like the idea if keeping the same account instead of opening another card, even if it is a SP. I'm unsure if I'll either get an email about the upgrade, see it in my account somewhere, or see it only when I look to apply for the Surpass.

They'll email them to you. You can also call in and ask, which is how I found out about my 10k upgrade offer.

You can also check it online. See this post for the steps to check online. https://mypointslife.blogspot.com/2020/05/upgrade-amex-card.html#point1

Thanks. I'll be at a year in August so I'll start to look out for an offer then.

Message 15 of 18
Trikoret
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What's the upgrade offer? When you click on "upgrade" it should tell you, just don't go any further and finale it. Mine is generally only 60K to upgrad, sometimes 20K. However, you're not likely ever to get the big daddy offer of 75K or more by upgrade. For those higher point tiers you'll have to "apply", for which you can do.

Ya it's a new app offer but I'm afraid I won't get it since I had the plat card before. Although customer service told me I would get it if I applied. She probably wanted to just take my app. Lol

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can apply online and the pop up will tell you if you qualify for SUB or not, if you don't simply cancel the app. I've done it twice on the Hilton card.

Message 17 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Forgot about online. It will also show in the offers on the home page occasionally.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.