Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex upgrade offer

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amex upgrade offer

I currently have a plat and gold card among other cards with amex. There is an offer on my main account page to upgrade gold card to plat card with an upgrade bonus of 25k points for $2k spend. The offer seems pretty enticing since I just paid the AF on my gold card so that AF would be deducted from the AF of the plar card. In addition, there are benefits I can double up on with the plat card to obtain value. In terms of the gold card I have a new citi premier card and new everyday preferred card which can cover restaurants and grocery spend respectively. I renewed the gold card because I was coming out slightly ahead with it, but I could likely profit much more from a second plat.

The concern I have is this. Even though amex is offering me the upgrade offer when I click on the terms it says the following: 

OFFER TERMS: Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this or previous versions of this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

Its confusing because I am signed into my account so they know I already have a plat card yet they offer me this upgrade on the gold card. Are they going to deny me the upgrade bonus if I accept the offer? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex upgrade offer

That is just a boilerplate message but unless you feel like rolling the dice you should heed the warning since by your own admission you already hold a Platinum card.

AMEX doesn't always catch on right away that something was done that shouldn't have been done but they do have a track record of eventually catching on and their recent history has shown that they have no qualms about clawing back bonuses.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.