cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex was IIB 3 years ago. If I pay them, will they consider me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex was IIB 3 years ago. If I pay them, will they consider me?

I included Amex in BK7 3 years ago. I am wondering.. if I pay what I burned them for, do I have a chance of being approved again before my BK falls off? Does anyone have experience with this?

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex was IIB 3 years ago. If I pay them, will they consider me?

@Anonymous wrote:

I included Amex in BK7 3 years ago. I am wondering.. if I pay what I burned them for, do I have a chance of being approved again before my BK falls off? Does anyone have experience with this?

Amex will not forget your BK even after it falls off your CR. Whether they will give you another chance is a separate matter.

For how much did you burn them?

Message 2 of 32
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Typically if you burn Amex, even if you pay them back, they take a LONG time to let you back in. Like, over a decade, sorry to say.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

They once had something called the "Oasis Program" but it was geared towards rehabilitating folks with charged-off accounts.  You might have some luck with folks in that department (google 'Amex Oasis') but since your account was included in a BK7 there are strict federal laws against Amex seeking the repayment, so I'm not sure how that would work. 

If Oasis (or a similar program) isn't an option, you might just have to wait it out.  I got back in after 15 years; it might not have taken quite that long (I never tried earlier) but I suspect it may be a few years.  Keeping this in mind, things are always changing in the credit world, so there's always a chance.  Also, folks who are 'blacklisted' have reported that when they apply, they are turned down without a credit pull, so if that is still the case at least there's no harm in trying from time to time.

Hope this helps!  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 32
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Pay them back also 5 years post BK they will consider you again.  5 years+ is post bk to be considered and obviously paying them back will help out even more.  So it sounds like it to me that you have two years left before they would consider you again.  It you want to do the right thing pay them back as well before that if you can afford to and want to do business with them after the 5 year mark

Message 5 of 32
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

CC is correct.

If you don't pay them back....dont look at getting back in with them for years.....10+ even long after your BK is off reports.

If you pay them back...The soonest they let peeps back in is 5yrs post DC date of BK.
Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Optima Oasis is still alive and kicking. That's the card in my signature and there is a huge thread on it here on Myfico.  The problem is it's invite only and I'm fairly certain that most of the people who got the offer were CO. The benifit of the program is not Just getting back in with Amex, in my opinion, the most important thing it is the fact that amex deleted the lates from my old tradeline after I had paid them back. That was like gold when I was rebuilding.

Message 7 of 32
sjt
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They once had something called the "Oasis Program" but it was geared towards rehabilitating folks with charged-off accounts.  You might have some luck with folks in that department (google 'Amex Oasis') but since your account was included in a BK7 there are strict federal laws against Amex seeking the repayment, so I'm not sure how that would work. 

If Oasis (or a similar program) isn't an option, you might just have to wait it out.  I got back in after 15 years; it might not have taken quite that long (I never tried earlier) but I suspect it may be a few years.  Keeping this in mind, things are always changing in the credit world, so there's always a chance.  Also, folks who are 'blacklisted' have reported that when they apply, they are turned down without a credit pull, so if that is still the case at least there's no harm in trying from time to time.

The Oasis Program is not available to folks that have a BK. The reason for this is that Oasis is a from of collection and atempting to collect on a BK account is illegal.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Oasis Program is not available to folks that have a BK. The reason for this is that Oasis is a from of collection and atempting to collect on a BK account is illegal.

Unless something has changed, it is available to those who included Amex in a BK. They offered it to me about 20 years ago. However, the stipulation was that I pay the original amount that was included in the BK.

Message 9 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sjt wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless something has changed, it is available to those who included Amex in a BK. They offered it to me about 20 years ago. However, the stipulation was that I pay the original amount that was included in the BK.

I agree with you both...  Smiley Wink

I've read reports of folks being allowed to use it on accounts IIBK, but I'm also aware that it's against federal law for a creditor to try to enforce a debt that was discharged, which is what the Oasis program effectively does once established (albeit entered into voluntarily).  That's why I said, "...I'm not sure how that would work."

The only way to know if it's an option or not (at least at this time) is for the OP to simply call them and ask.  Getting the correct number could require some legwork, but it's not insurmountable.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.