Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex won't give CLI!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex won't give CLI!!!

I have 3 Amex credit cards. The Platinum, the BlueCash Preferred 4k limit and the Delta Reserve with only 1k limit. I upgraded the Delta card with the hopes it would help with an increase but nope, still got declined. I have credit cards with a 25k limit, I can't understand why Amex won't increase this card and I had it for years, never late and a Member Since 1999. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Amex won't give CLI!!!

Sorry to hear about this, usually AMEX is consistent with enabling CLI.

There are several points to clarify first, however, just to be certain you aren't hindering yourself with your actions.

1) Which sequence did the BCP and Delta card (original) get applied? Did you get the $4k first, or the $1k first?

2) Have you gotten any CLI on the BCP to get it to $4k, or it has always been at $4k? If any CLI were approved, what day was that?

3) When was your last request for a CLI?

4) What is your spend / usage volume on each card, including the Platinum?

Now, recapping some of the rules:

1) Once you get a CLI on an AMEX Revolver, you have to wait 6 months before asking for any CLI on any other AMEX revolver.

2) Next, if you ask and are denied a CLI, then you must wait at least 90 days before requesting again.

If you move too fast, and get these two blocks working against you, you can perpetually try and fail to get a CLI because not enough time has passed.

Said a different way, the AMEX CLI is not a Luv Button like some other banks where you just keep pressing it until something happens. With AMEX you really have to plan and wait for the time limits to pass be fore doing anything.

What is you credit score on EX?

And for what it is worth, NFCU credit limits are like outer space alien limits; they won't translate to regular bank credit limits Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that it means anything probably but I'm a "Member Since 1999" thanks to my parents. My first Amex on my own was my Delta card in 2013, then after a year I upgraded to the Delta Platinum, then in 2014 I applied and got the Gold Card and upgraded my Delta Plat. In 2015 I applied for the BCP which I was approved for with a 4k limit. Same year I upgraded the Delta Plat to the Reserve, my Gold card to the Platinum card. So I always have 1k limit on m Delta card, 4k on my BCP but over the years I tried to get increases on my Delta and nada. I tried twice with my Blue and nada. My average spend is not astronomical in any of them. Couple of thousands on my Platinum, and the highest balance on my BCP was 2k but is now with a 200.00 balance only and not much I can charge with my Delta considering is a 1k limit but I have charged it to almost the max and pay it down to zero or carry small balance. Last request was few weeks ago but I won't be asking again anytime soon. Maybe after 9 months. My credit score on EX is 700.

Message 3 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

Ok, well it may have something to do with income level and having 3 cards with AMEX. With the NPSL and two revolvers, they might feel that is sufficient for you for now. If you were asking too often, that might also be a factor. Waiting 4 months now would be advisable.

I'd suggest continuing to use and pay heavily, right up to the $1k limit. My Delta Gold was at $2k when they issued it to me in mid-2013, and was really my first Centurion Bank AMEX card. I used it regularly for $500 - $600 per month, then in June 2014 started really running larger charges through it. Got it up within about $50 of the $2k limit, paid it down, and the next time it got up near $2k, they gave me an auto CLI to $3k.

The NPSL Platinum could be your often-used card. The MR points you earn there are of course transferrable to Delta SkyMiles, so using that card is a more free-form way to get higher credit availability, for PIF purchases of course, and run even more charges through the set of cards.

The other option to consider, if the BCP is more than enough, you can transfer limits between cards if the donor card has been open 13 statement or more.

That is still strange, however, that the Delta Reserve card, with a $450 AF, has only a $1k limit. I thought there was some rule in the CARD act about requiring CC limits to be some multiple of any AF, and it was certainly more than 2x. This was to keep predators such as CreditOne and First Premier from giving a $200 CL and charging a $200 AF, which is almost where your Delta Reserve card is.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I just got my BCP May 2015, I'm gonna have to wait some before I can transfer the limit if I take that route. I did a google search and apparently the CARD Act rule only applies to the first year. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1447024/ I may end up downgrading the Delta Reserve back to the Delta Platinum after one year. A lot of my Platinum Card benefits mirror my Delta Reserve (Delta Sky Club access with either card plus Global Entry with my Plat Card).

Message 5 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Didn't Amex give any reasons for the decline?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only remember too many inquiries and high balance on cards which only 2 cards out of my 18 have a high balance. But they did lower my interest rate on my BCP by 4.75% and my Delta Card always been 15.24%.
Message 7 of 12
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Does your income play a role? Income vs available credit

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 8 of 12
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

What is the time frame you got the 18 cards? How many in the past 2 years ?

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 5 of them in the past 2 years.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.