cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amount of time to wait after paying off a credit card to sign up for a new one?

tag
bpreman

Amount of time to wait after paying off a credit card to sign up for a new one?

I was curious as to the amount of time I should wait after paying off a balance in full with a lender before applying for another credit card with that same company. 

For my example:  Capital One Secure Credit Card, Balance $212.00 / Limit $301.00 / Paid off as of 5/6/13.

I want to apply for the Capital One Cash Rewards Card.

Thanks for the help.  (First Time PosterSmiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Amount of time to wait after paying off a credit card to sign up for a new one?

I would wait until atleast my credit reports were updated, and remember capital one will pull all 3, so when credit karma shows its paid off (from TU) your pretty safe knowing all 3 CRA have updated

Message 2 of 5
bpreman

Re: Amount of time to wait after paying off a credit card to sign up for a new one?

The CRA's update that quickly?  I was not aware.  I know Credit Karma usually takes about 7-10 days after a payment for it to register with them.  Should I wait longer, IE: 2 weeks or A month before applying for the new card?  Thanks again for the input.

Message 3 of 5
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Most CC companies update within a day or so of the statement date. There are some exceptions. When you made the payment is not relevant to when the CB's will be updated.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 4 of 5
john398
Senior Contributor

Yes I forgot to say after the statement has cut, like 7-10 days after

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.