Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard

@Anonymous wrote:

My question is, how often will you use the Amtrak card in the future? The problem with cards like this is that they earn points very slowly, if a person has other daily drivers and are in different points systems etc. 

If it were me, I'd look into a differnt travel card that's more universal. Or that has a future beyond this one trip. 

I looked into this card once when i was planning a trip, and the points don't go as far as one would think. 

Yeah I would actually use the Amtrak card seeing as how I live just outside of Harrisburg PA which is at the end of the Philadelphia to Harrisburg mainline which has daily trains to Penn Station in NY so I could and would use it for weekend getaways to NYC a few times a year.  Or even some kind of special event in Philadelphia I might take the train to instead of driving if it makes sense for me to do so.  

Unfortunately the tracks between Harrisburg and Baltimore were torn up before I was even born with a lot of it being converted from rails to trails and some of it being used for the light rail system in Baltimore.  So you  can't hop on a train in Harrisburg to take to Baltimore and DC directly.  Instead you would have to go to Philadelphia and then take the Acela down to DC and by the time you did all that it just makes vastly more logistically sense to just drive to Union Station in DC.  

As far as the point earning goes Amtrak points are worth 2.5 cents if I use them for the Keystone Service however for sleeper cars and long distance trains the points are actually worth $.03 a point.  Also Amtrak does have it's own shopping portal which gives you more points then the airline portals tend to give for shopping at the same stores online...although ymmv on which store in which day gives better rewards on what site.  Also they have a hotel booking service as well which gives out a lot of points as well and the prices weren't outrageous on the site from what I've seen.  So you can actually earn a lot of Amtrak rewards relatively easy.  

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FieryDance wrote:

The new BoA 3/24, 7/24 rules count new cards not new inquiries as far as I know so I personally think you are eligible and have a good chance for the AF free version but not quite a slam dunk.  

I can share my own DP: I applied and was instantly approved of the World Elite Verizon (with $79 AF) for $12K when it was running the 40K miles + $100 promo SUB.  It was the last card I went for at the end my 4 months slow spree, and at the time I was at 3/24, had 5 inquiries on EX and this card brought it to 6.  BoA pulled EX and EX only.  I have had BoA bank accounts for 10 years. 

The card itself is great if you ride Amtrak a lot.  Besides bonus category it also earns 1x for every dollar spent and Amtrak points are valued by TPG (and as a frequent Amtrak rider I agree with him) at 2.5 cpp so it is also a surprisingly good catch all card to use for all your non category spending.  The SUB alone at 12K points will not be enough to give you a bedroom from DC to Chicago since you will need 30K points to have a shot at a bedroom, but a roomette is quite possible especially if you catch a low bucket rate.  

GL and happy holidays! 

The $79 annual fee version of the card is 20k points with the same $1,000.00 minimum spend in 3 months as the no annual fee version which currently has the 12k bonus.  Granted the 20k point bonus alone still wouldn't cover a sleeper but I would still get the annual fee version due to the higher bonus.  I do agree with you about using it as a general spend card because it's a flat $.025 to $.03 a point which is excellent.  If I get this card my double cash will either be used exclusively for my side hustle or will end up being put in the sock drawer.  

Anyway for everyone reading this I wish you a Merry Christmas.  

Message 12 of 13
MacCreed
Valued Member

@FieryDance wrote:

The new BoA 3/24, 7/24 rules count new cards not new inquiries as far as I know so I personally think you are eligible and have a good chance for the AF free version but not quite a slam dunk.  

I can share my own DP: I applied and was instantly approved of the World Elite Verizon (with $79 AF) for $12K when it was running the 40K miles + $100 promo SUB.  It was the last card I went for at the end my 4 months slow spree, and at the time I was at 3/24, had 5 inquiries on EX and this card brought it to 6.  BoA pulled EX and EX only.  I have had BoA bank accounts for 10 years. 

The card itself is great if you ride Amtrak a lot.  Besides bonus category it also earns 1x for every dollar spent and Amtrak points are valued by TPG (and as a frequent Amtrak rider I agree with him) at 2.5 cpp so it is also a surprisingly good catch all card to use for all your non category spending.  The SUB alone at 12K points will not be enough to give you a bedroom from DC to Chicago since you will need 30K points to have a shot at a bedroom, but a roomette is quite possible especially if you catch a low bucket rate.  

GL and happy holidays! 

2.5x is awesome!   Didn't know that!  

Happy holidays!!!!!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.