Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An old product by AMEX

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

An old product by AMEX

Does anyone remember a secured card that AMEX offered say, about 10 years ago?

It may have been an Optima, but it was available to anyone. I don't think it was related to Oasis.

*edited to give more detail

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Lightdog555
New Contributor

Re: An old product by AMEX

This was back in 2000 or so. I had an account when I was 18 defaulted then last year got the oasis.it is not available any longer.
Message 2 of 13
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Well, while I can't find any paperwork, I had that card. I defaulted way back when and they canceled it. It's not on my credit report, so I don't have any reference that I can go to. 

Could I backdate?

Who do I call to research it?

The card had my first and middle initial and my last name. I can't find anything anywhere. Ugh. Smiley Frustrated

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 3 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I did some reading. Apparently amex used to have a secured optima and a secured blue card. The optima could be applied for by printing an application and mailing it in. The blue card could be.applied for over the phone.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You might try getting in touch with an archive department.

Also if you have any of your old bank account statements which include check copies you may be able to get a copy of an old check that you used to pay your bill with which hopefully would have your account number listed
FICO 9:

Message 5 of 13
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I checked the back door numbers and there's a "closed accounts" number. Would that be the same as "archives?"

Message 6 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Should be... worth a try!
FICO 9:

Message 7 of 13
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

Does anyone remember a secured card that AMEX offered say, about 10 years ago?

It may have been an Optima, but it was available to anyone. I don't think it was related to Oasis.

*edited to give more detail

I had the secured Optima card. I first got the card back in 1999 and I had it up until they ended the program a few years later. I never defaulted? They just sent a letter saying they were ending their secured program.

I'm waiting to get my Zync that I was approved for last week. I'm hoping that it's backdated to 1999. Only thing is I wasn't married then so I have a different last name now. But they should be able to tell by my SSN.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Secured CC back then is very profitable since savings rate were high. Now since banks can borrow money virtually for free (base borrowing rate is 0.25%), a lot of banks don't do secured CC anymore (including AMEX).

Message 9 of 13
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

No dice. 

I called and they said that it has been closed in good standing long enough to be purged from the system.

Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.