Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoyed at places that don't take Amex

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Annoyed at places that don't take Amex

This thread sure has sparked a lively debate. To OPs original statement, I'm not personally annoyed that businesses do not accept my Amex. I, like you am fortunate to be able to choose to pay with other cc's. Although I tend to frequent places that accept Amex ( and I have found this true with Discover) in those rare occasions that the business does not it is obviously the merchants choice. As it is yours to not frequent their establishment.
Message 41 of 50
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@fittiger wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

This is 100% false.  Many server's work for far less than minimum wage, basically enough to break even after paying taxes.  If you do not tip your server, I can assure you the business owner does not make up for it and you are essentially stealing money from that server, especially after they are required to tip out bartenders and bussers.

If you are too chincy to tip your server when they perform a satifactory or better job, then you need not go to dine in restaurants.  Also, do not refuse to tip your server because the food is bad, he's not cooking it.  Ask for a manager to take care of that if you don't think you should pay full price.

I don't know what you do that you work a lot harder than servers....maybe you do, maybe you don't.....but servers are making money based on service.  The business does not pay them.  If you choose to believe otherwise, maybe you should try working that job for a month.

You are incorrect. Look up the law and you will see that it is illegal not to pay minimum wage and the difference must be made up by the owner. I believe there is an exception for contract workers only. If the server is not intelligent enough to know the law, that is not my problem. How is it stealing if the money never belonged to the server in the first place?

This is just an excuse for you to give yourself to not tip.  Just admit you're cheap.  If I still worked as a server and you didn't leave a tip, I'd chase you out and tell you that t your face and someone should.

Whether the server knows the law or not, you do know that most businesses won't make up for your lack of tip.  The majority of people leave tips.  They should not have to make up for you being a miser.  It's stealing because if you are the only patron for that server, and you don't tip, he still has to pay tipout for percentage of sales, plus taxes and the $2.13/hr does not cover that.  You are taking money away from him = stealing.  It's unethical at best.

You and people like you should be ashamed and called out publicly and humiliated for doing so.

Message 42 of 50
Open123
Super Contributor

@fittiger wrote:

If you are too chincy to tip your server when they perform a satifactory or better job, then you need not go to dine in restaurants.  Also, do not refuse to tip your server because the food is bad, he's not cooking it.  Ask for a manager to take care of that if you don't think you should pay full price.

I'm happy to leave a tip when I receive good service and even more so when receiving what I regard as exemplary service.  

What I do resent is the restaurant owners usurping the tradition of showing gratuity for excellent service to a mandatory transfer of his labor cost to diners.  It's come to a point where a tip is no longer voluntary, but mandatory because every restaurant counts future gratuity as a portion of a server's renumeration.

It still should be volutary gesture diners can give to for excellent service, not a mandatory part of the tab.

Message 43 of 50
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@fittiger wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@fittiger wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

This is 100% false.  Many server's work for far less than minimum wage, basically enough to break even after paying taxes.  If you do not tip your server, I can assure you the business owner does not make up for it and you are essentially stealing money from that server, especially after they are required to tip out bartenders and bussers.

I don't know what you do that you work a lot harder than servers....maybe you do, maybe you don't.....but servers are making money based on service.  The business does not pay them.  If you choose to believe otherwise, maybe you should try working that job for a month.

You are incorrect. Look up the law and you will see that it is illegal not to pay minimum wage and the difference must be made up by the owner. I believe there is an exception for contract workers only. If the server is not intelligent enough to know the law, that is not my problem. How is it stealing if the money never belonged to the server in the first place?

This is just an excuse for you to give yourself to not tip.  Just admit you're cheap.  If I still worked as a server and you didn't leave a tip, I'd chase you out and tell you that t your face and someone should.

Whether the server knows the law or not, you do know that most businesses won't make up for your lack of tip.  The majority of people leave tips.  They should not have to make up for you being a miser.  It's stealing because if you are the only patron for that server, and you don't tip, he still has to pay tipout for percentage of sales, plus taxes and the $2.13/hr does not cover that.  You are taking money away from him = stealing.  It's unethical at best.

You and people like you should be ashamed and called out publicly and humiliated for doing so.

Actually, no. I and other ARE NOT force to give a tip. That should be based on the discretion of the customer, and not force (like in some business). On the other hand, I am happy to give tip (15%-20% of the bill, pre tax) to any business that treats me nice. However, I REFUSE to give tip to any business if I am getting poor service. I once dined in a restaurant where the waiter was getting a attitude because I was asking questions about the menu. Did I leave a tip? Hell no. 

People who think they are entitled for a tip ought to be ashamed of themselves, especially if they are dealing with a person or family who are barely making ends meat (who just have enough to pay for the food). I remember many times when my mom only had money to pay for our dinner and couldn't leave a tip. She even apologized to a waitress once, but she kindly replied that she understood and need not to worry. 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 44 of 50
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Hi everyone, Let's please keep this on topic. Name calling will not be tolerated on the forums. If you do not like a comment from another poster there is a cute little feature that will ALLOW you to ignore. 

We are here to help and give great advise to others. If you can't say something nice or not wish to help, please refrain from posting to that paticular thread. 

Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 45 of 50
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

@fittiger wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@fittiger wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Actually, no. I and other ARE NOT force to give a tip. That should be based on the discretion of the customer, and not force (like in some business). On the other hand, I am happy to give tip (15%-20% of the bill, pre tax) to any business that treats me nice. However, I REFUSE to give tip to any business if I am getting poor service. I once dined in a restaurant where the waiter was getting a attitude because I was asking questions about the menu. Did I leave a tip? Hell no. 

People who think they are entitled for a tip ought to be ashamed of themselves, especially if they are dealing with a person or family who are barely making ends meat (who just have enough to pay for the food). I remember many times when my mom only had money to pay for our dinner and couldn't leave a tip. She even apologized to a waitress once, but she kindly replied that she understood and need not to worry. 

I agree with the first part of what you said. I'm a server as well and when I do have the opportunity to go out and eat, I tip based on how the service was. If it was good to excellent I leave anywhere from 15-20%. Bad-crappy service=no tip. Ever. I do the best I can providing my guests with good service and sometimes those people will come up to my manager and tell him how good I was, and the leave me 1.00$. Really? 

As you said, we are not entitled to a tip, but many of my co-workers have a family, rent, gas, and bills to pay for. Minnimum wage is barely anything (8.00$ is hardly anything.) I would understand if I was taking of your family and that happened, but many of us need those tips in order to make it through day to day especially those who have familes. On top of that, we get a tax on our sales, we have to tip the busboys, more taxes from our paychecks because we have to declare and or report our tips. I personally have taken care of many kids from my school and they hardly tip because their kids and they have the same reason. It bugs us when we work hard running with trays of food, refiling drinks, taking 5+ tables at a time, and making sure everything is good, and then we get stiffed at the end. It isn't an easy job and those tips matter to do things we all have to do. Personally, I would not take care of you again, if you sat in my section the next time, because servers remember every person that stiffs them, and know them very well Smiley Happy.

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 46 of 50
martinkk
Contributor

I'm not compaining after the fact. The OP had asked "What's wrong with these people? Don't they want my business?" because he wanted to use his AMEX card. Many people don't realize why a business would choose not to accept a particular card, and I was just trying to let him see that from the opposite perspective. That being said, I love my AMEX card and I use it all the time. I'm not a poor business person. I'm one of the lucky few whose business works very well. I sell higher end leisure products. I also service and maintain them and have a retail store. Our average ticket is in the $300 range, so that would amount to giving AMEX $15 plus the swipe fee and interchange rates. It's just too much. I might see it differently if it were a $5 sandwich. For example, last month (May 2013) we ran 86k thru the cc machine and paid $1540 in cc fees. We take all forms of credit cards, including Discover, except for AMEX. Our average rate was 1.79% paid in fees. That is perfectly acceptable and a cost of doing business. If all the sales had been AMEX, the fees would have been $4300 plus the fees and interchange. It's just giving money away. This is my 25th year in businss and I tell people every day that we don't take AMEX and I don't remember anyone ever leaving because of it. We did accept AMEX for about 4-5 years, but quit about 10 years ago.

Message 47 of 50
dalleanne
New Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
This thread sure has sparked a lively debate. To OPs original statement, I'm not personally annoyed that businesses do not accept my Amex. I, like you am fortunate to be able to choose to pay with other cc's. Although I tend to frequent places that accept Amex ( and I have found this true with Discover) in those rare occasions that the business does not it is obviously the merchants choice. As it is yours to not frequent their establishment.

+1. Similarly I only drink coke and only frequent places that sell it. I like taco bell but never go since they only have pepsi lol.

Message 48 of 50
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@fittiger wrote:

Are you mad? Yes I am cheap, and I will admit that to anyone. If you chased me out and harrassed me, I would hope your boss would terminate you. You're saying the business owners shouldn't follow the law and rely on customers to pay their own employees. Would you do the same thing if Chase said that they were only going to pay their analysts 2 dollars an hour and the rest was to be made up in tips? The whole tipping thing is out of control and people really need to get a grip.

What's unethical is lying to people to get them to give you money. I will say one last time, the owner must make up the difference and if they do not they are breaking the law and need to be put out of business and fined. All serves know exactly how much money they will be making when they start. They take the job because they hear you can make hundreds a day and then complain when they do not. Do not say I am stealing from someone when the only reason they aren't getting their full legal wage is because they don't bother to question anything.

You think someone who doesn't do something that is optional should be ashamed, yet you fully support a business owner who gives employees less than minimum wage. I'm sorry if I expect a business owner to follow the law and pay their employees legally. If you don't believe me, please contact the United States Department of Labor.

@bluesnowman wrote:

I do the best I can providing my guests with good service and sometimes those people will come up to my manager and tell him how good I was, and the leave me 1.00$. Really? 

As you said, we are not entitled to a tip, but many of my co-workers have a family, rent, gas, and bills to pay for. Minnimum wage is barely anything (8.00$ is hardly anything.) I would understand if I was taking of your family and that happened, but many of us need those tips in order to make it through day to day especially those who have familes. On top of that, we get a tax on our sales, we have to tip the busboys, more taxes from our paychecks because we have to declare and or report our tips. I personally have taken care of many kids from my school and they hardly tip because their kids and they have the same reason. It bugs us when we work hard running with trays of food, refiling drinks, taking 5+ tables at a time, and making sure everything is good, and then we get stiffed at the end. It isn't an easy job and those tips matter to do things we all have to do. Personally, I would not take care of you again, if you sat in my section the next time, because servers remember every person that stiffs them, and know them very well Smiley Happy.

You should take that $1 and be glad you got it. Any amount is more than the person is required to pay and should not be scrutinised. I'm not sure how it's the diner's responsibility to take care of your family or pay your bills. Do you not think that cashiers who make minimum wage may have the same responsiblities that you do? I don't see anyone saying they need tips. Do servers just think that no one besides them has to pay tax on their earnings? It really irks me when people say you have to leave a tip in cash so they don't have to report it on taxes. Don't you think we would all not pay taxes on earnings if we didn't have to? Such petulance as holding a grudge against a customer because they didn't give a tip or a large one is not something to be proud of. I also question why you think you deserve a tip based on the total price of the visit. Is it more difficult for you to carry a plate worth $50 than one that costs $5? Perhaps if servers would stop being so insolent then maybe people wouldn't have such a problem with tipping.

Message 49 of 50
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Topic has been locked to allow the discussion to cool down and get back on topic.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.