cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual Fees Count As Signup Bonus Spending?

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Annual Fees Count As Signup Bonus Spending?

Not sure. My CSR AF and $300 are both up in my activities. Still first statement. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Annual Fees Count As Signup Bonus Spending?

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Not sure. My CSR AF and $300 are both up in my activities. Still first statement. 

No

Message 2 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

From the Offer Terms (which I know you read completely before applying)

To qualify and receive your bonus, you must make Purchases totaling $4,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. (“Purchases” do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.)

Congrats on the new card!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

To qualify and receive your bonus, you must make Purchases totaling $4,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. (“Purchases” do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.)

I  was just about to post that in case my one word answer was insufficient.

Just looking at the Freedom:   Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program.

Wonder what that means.    Note it is not even talking about eligble for bonus, but eligible for a card.  So it could mean if you have a CSP/CSR etc, you might not be able to get a Freedom.   Which would be contrary to all previous experience.

Message 4 of 11
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

How about the travel purchased, credited with the $300? I figure that counts. 

Message 5 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

I will wager that it does not. While the $300 was a purchase initially, you have now received, effectively, a credit for the $300, so it no longer looks like a purchase.

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 6 of 11
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Just looking at the Freedom:   Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program.

Wonder what that means.    Note it is not even talking about eligble for bonus, but eligible for a card.  So it could mean if you have a CSP/CSR etc, you might not be able to get a Freedom.   Which would be contrary to all previous experience.

That is the about the signup bonus rewards. They do not want you to get the same signup rewards twice, any rewards, such as two Freedom rewards. But you can still get two Freedom cards, but no rewards the 2nd card. 

Same with AmEx Platinum reward. Just once. 

Message 7 of 11
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I will wager that it does not. While the $300 was a purchase initially, you have now received, effectively, a credit for the $300, so it no longer looks like a purchase.

That is fine. Have a lot plans for the holiday travel. 

Message 8 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

That is the about the signup bonus rewards. They do not want you to get the same signup rewards twice, any rewards, such as two Freedom rewards. But you can still get two Freedom cards, but no rewards the 2nd card. 

This is generally expected, that a bonus on one card can't be re-earned with the same card. But what LTL is pointing out relates to the rewards program, Ultimate Rewards.

It depends on whether a card brand in the Ultimate Rewards is a variation on that rewards program, in other words the earning rate of the card makes it a different "rewards program". So I would go with the idea that CSR, CSP, Freedom, and Freedom Unlimited, even though they are all part of the Ultimate Rewards Program, each have their unique earning (and more importantly redemption) program and that makes them four separate "Rewards Programs."

I hope.

Message 9 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

This is generally expected, that a bonus on one card can't be re-earned with the same card. But what LTL is pointing out relates to the rewards program, Ultimate Rewards.

It depends on whether a card brand in the Ultimate Rewards is a variation on that rewards program, in other words the earning rate of the card makes it a different "rewards program". So I would go with the idea that CSR, CSP, Freedom, and Freedom Unlimited, even though they are all part of the Ultimate Rewards Program, each have their unique earning (and more importantly redemption) program and that makes them four separate "Rewards Programs."

I hope.

Right, and I disagree that is is about the signup bonus rewards.   In other programs, it more clearly states that you won't get the bonus, here it is about eligibility for the CARD.   Now I really doubt that this would happen, but just interesting to see the language.

And, from what I have read elsewhere, the spending that is reimbursed DOES count towwards the $4K spend, but either way it probably doesn't make much difference.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.