Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual Fees on cards!!

tag
nickn86
Contributor

Re: Annual Fees on cards!!

@Dustink wrote:

Generally, I find AF's on starter cards a bad idea. Most of the time somebody can find a way around that if they build a relationship with a bank. Although, the AeroMexico secured card from US Bank seems worthly of its terms for somebody with no/bad credit and no relationship with a bank.

I think that's true for people with no credit, but not so much for people with bad credit.  Sometimes credit can be so bad that you can't even open a checking account!

FWIW, I took the route you suggest when my whole credit report was a student loan that had been opened for less than a year.  I had banked with Chase for awhile so I went into a branch and asked to apply for a credit card and ended up being approved for probably the most obscure Chase card out there (Chase +1 with a $300 limit).  It's actually a pretty cool looking card though -- http://www.dollarbanker.com/credit-cards/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/chase-plus-1-student-cc.jpg -- I told people it was my "black card."  Smiley Very Happy

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 21 of 56
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Dustink wrote:

Generally, I find AF's on starter cards a bad idea. Most of the time somebody can find a way around that if they build a relationship with a bank. Although, the AeroMexico secured card from US Bank seems worthly of its terms for somebody with no/bad credit and no relationship with a bank.

Think I justified my BOFA secured AF in the first month after I added the rewards package.

That said, you're buying a tradeline and there aren't many $0 AF options if you're in the secured / deep subprime bracket, we're talking where I started at a FICO of 560ish.  I do suppose it's based on one's own finances; however, I know I and pretty much everybody else wastes more money on far less important things than a positive tradeline: the ROI dwarfs anything I could do otherwise with the money.

Admittedly, I'm not a proponent for chasing store cards as I think that delays relationship and credit report (occasionally discounted vis a vis Chase) building rather than enhancing it, and this does color my opinion in being in favor of sucking up an AF to get a tradeline from a recognized national bank or CU.

        
Message 22 of 56
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@QuantumCredit wrote:

15K for 2 people seems a little on the high side, but 20K for a family of 4 or even 3 is totally normal.

Yes, this was 3-4 people, and also depends where you shop.  Whole Foods adds up quicker than Walmart for example.

Message 23 of 56
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@QuantumCredit wrote:

15K for 2 people seems a little on the high side, but 20K for a family of 4 or even 3 is totally normal.

It is high for only 2 of us, but we eat pretty well.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 24 of 56
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I have earned 90,000 points ($1800) on my flexperks card since I opened it in June. I find that worth the $49 AF that is waived with $2k monthly spend.

I also find the $450 AF on the AMEX plat worth it with the 100k MR point bonus, lounge access, and $200 incidental credit.

The question now is: are you going to keep the Amex plat after the 1st year when there's no 100k signup bonus anymore?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 25 of 56
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@nickn86 wrote:

FWIW, I took the route you suggest when my whole credit report was a student loan that had been opened for less than a year.  I had banked with Chase for awhile so I went into a branch and asked to apply for a credit card and ended up being approved for probably the most obscure Chase card out there (Chase +1 with a $300 limit).  It's actually a pretty cool looking card though -- http://www.dollarbanker.com/credit-cards/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/chase-plus-1-student-cc.jpg -- I told people it was my "black card."  Smiley Very Happy

Haha, that is awesome. 

I also started with a $300 limit. I had no credit (no tradelines of any kind). Limit went to $2500 after 6 months, hopefully you have good luck with Chase. I was with US Bank.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 26 of 56
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Think I justified my BOFA secured AF in the first month after I added the rewards package.

That said, you're buying a tradeline and there aren't many $0 AF options if you're in the secured / deep subprime bracket, we're talking where I started at a FICO of 560ish.  I do suppose it's based on one's own finances; however, I know I and pretty much everybody else wastes more money on far less important things than a positive tradeline: the ROI dwarfs anything I could do otherwise with the money.

Admittedly, I'm not a proponent for chasing store cards as I think that delays relationship and credit report (occasionally discounted vis a vis Chase) building rather than enhancing it, and this does color my opinion in being in favor of sucking up an AF to get a tradeline from a recognized national bank or CU.

I am all for secured rewards cards. Just not the First Premier type stuff.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 27 of 56
nickn86
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@nickn86 wrote:

Haha, that is awesome. 

I also started with a $300 limit. I had no credit (no tradelines of any kind). Limit went to $2500 after 6 months, hopefully you have good luck with Chase. I was with US Bank.

Wow, that's a crazy fast bump for never having any credit at all beforehand. I never tried to up the limit with Chase and I haven't used the card in 6 or so months since the only rewards it has are based on paying your bill on time.  I should probably use it a couple of times before I apply for other Chase cards.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 28 of 56
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

I recently got charged a $79 AF on my Orchard Bank card. I am talking about a card here with ZERO rewards or perks just a regular cc that you charge and pay. After 2 1/2 years of rebuilding I decided to close this account because it was useless to me and I have much better cards now with rewards + higher CL's. I find it outrageous to be charged $79 annually for a CL of only $400 that never grew on me for as much as I tried to request a CLI. SMH @ Crap. 1.
My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 29 of 56
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I have earned 90,000 points ($1800) on my flexperks card since I opened it in June. I find that worth the $49 AF that is waived with $2k monthly spend.

I also find the $450 AF on the AMEX plat worth it with the 100k MR point bonus, lounge access, and $200 incidental credit.

The question now is: are you going to keep the Amex plat after the 1st year when there's no 100k signup bonus anymore?

Not likely, unless I find that I can't live without lounge access. Although, that is unlikely because I am always up for going to a USO instead. 

Message 30 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.