Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annual fees

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Annual fees

Just a quick question as I am new to this scene. Is it normal to see an annual fee be broken into monthly fees, particularly closed accounts with a balance?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Annual fees

Sounds like something a subprime lender like Credit One would do.  They'll maximize fees any way that they can and continue beating a horse even after it's dead (as in collecting fees on a closed account with a balance).

To further answer your question, most lenders do not collect AF on a monthly basis, and some will even refund or pro-rate if you close your account.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. Thank you for answering. I am going through this with Credit One now, is why I asked. I'm considering requesting they waive the fee but not sure if I have a leg to stand on considering I am past due on payments and not in good standing with them
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never seen a legit lender split fees monthly.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too thought this was strange. I will have to call them
Message 5 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

First Premier (another piece of subprime garbage) does it, too.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your late on payment with credit one a rebuilder card you need to ask yourself what your doing wrong. Nothing personal or judging you but, you obviously have some issues with using cc properly.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that is why I am asking questions
Message 8 of 9
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I see. Thank you for answering. I am going through this with Credit One now, is why I asked. I'm considering requesting they waive the fee but not sure if I have a leg to stand on considering I am past due on payments and not in good standing with them

Credit One is a "predatory" lender and I've never heard of them waiving anything...so IMO I think you'll be wasting your time even asking.  You need to focus on getting caught up and paying them off as quickly as possible to lessen the blow with the fees.  They will just keep piling up, that's how they operate.  Then as another poster mentioned, sit down and really examine what is going on that causes you to be late and fix it.  Are you forgetting the due date?  No steady income to afford a credit card?  Good luck!  Lots of good ppl on here and a wealth of knowledge if you take the time Smiley Happy

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.